Question Jonsbo N3 Drives not working.

Tasmainian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi all,

I'm pulling my hair out over this, as I believe I've tried everything, but for some reason, my two 16TB drives are not being recognized by TrueNAS—even at the BIOS level.

I hope it's not the motherboard, as I went cheap on it, but I'm not sure at this point. Full specs are as follows:

I have two Molex and one SATA power connection going to the motherboard, but the drives still don't seem to spin up. I've also tried just one SATA power and one Molex, and even just Molex, but still nothing. The actual SATA connection is directly into the motherboard and via an M.2 adapter, but still no luck.

I've also tried putting tape over the 3rd connector on both HDDs, bypassing the bottom tray, and connecting them directly to the motherboard, but still no results. The motherboard does detect SSDs without any issue, so I'm completely confused as to why this isn't working.

I'm gutted and have no idea what's wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard:

Go to the manufacturer's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual.

= = = =

Verify that all installed components are supported and properly configured.

Verify that all connections, cables, jumpers are correct and fully and firmly in place.

Did you try swapping in known working power/data cables as applicable?

What about using just one drive at a time? Will one or the other drive then work?

Do the drives work in or with another known working computer?

Source for the HDDs?

Are you using only the power cables that came with the installed PSU?

Have you tried reinstalling TrueNAS? Source?

https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/gettingstarted/install/

Confirm that the install was done correctly - perhaps some error of omission or commission is the problem.

The overall objective being to eliminate other possible reasons for the drives not being recognized.

And truly narrow the problem down to being the motherboard....

I have two Molex and one SATA power connection going to the motherboard, but the drives still don't seem to spin up. I've also tried just one SATA power and one Molex, and even just Molex, but still nothing. The actual SATA connection is directly into the motherboard and via an M.2 adapter, but still no luck.
Please show photos, how you have connected everything.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

There should be ZERO! sata power connections going to motherboard.
Sata power cables go from PSU to HDD.
Sata data cables go from motherboard to HDD.
I've also tried putting tape over the 3rd connector on both HDDs, bypassing the bottom tray, and connecting them directly to the motherboard, but still no results.
What bottom tray are we talking here exactly?
Can you show photos?

Tasmainian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Unfortunately the motherboards manufactor is all chinese (what I get for buying from aliexpress)

Did you try swapping in known working power/data cables as applicable? yes

What about using just one drive at a time? yes Will one or the other drive then work? no

Do the drives work in or with another known working computer? yes

Source for the HDDs? Amazon

Are you using only the power cables that came with the installed PSU? Yes

Have you tried reinstalling TrueNAS? Source? I haven't, but I'm using truenas scale, and it detects the ssds without an issue, my thought process is that if they aren't making a noise and aren't recognised at a bios level it has to be the mobo. I've since ordered a much more expensive motherboard: https://www.cclonline.com/b760i-aorus-pro-ddr4-gigabyte-b760i-aorus-pro-ddr4-motherboard-404279/

Which I will test to see if it resolves the issue.