News JPR: Unit Sales of Nvidia GPUs Down 26 Percent as PC Sales Collapse

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I ran into quite a few people that used the start of the Pandemic to start streaming. So many wanted to stream, and for some reason, they absolutely had to get high spec'd PCs. However, now, many of them realized that streaming was not for them.

Then, we couldn't get the current gen consoles, so PC gamers that had consoles were like "good time to get the rig up to spec!" (which is exactly what I thought, plus I never get consoles close to their release years anyways)

To be clear, I would say the gamers and streamers were a small part compared to the miners.

Of course my old system was getting unstable at the time and it was time to upgrade... oh boy...

D

Deleted member 2783327

Gee, the excessive prices wouldn't have anything to do with it? GPU's are still no where near MSRP here. I would have replaced most of my 10 GPUs over the last two years if not for the ridiculous prices. I just bought my first GPU since 2019 a week ago.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I might actually buy a new GPU for myself - give myself the best gift this year, sorry honey, yet that gift you are giving me just is not the same. I was going to wait a couple more generations, yet AMD and nVidia can thank one of my cats for that (forced me to rebuild/upgrade my system earlier this year - the GPU is the only thing needing upgrading right now).

Let see, as others have mentioned, crypto mining has gone bust, the new flu (COVID-19) is under control - so no more staying home, wanna be streamers are realizing it takes more than a good CPU and GPU combo - you also need some interesting content, prices are just now falling to an already inflated MSRP, and lets not forget that we know that the next generation of GPUs are just around the corner - both RDNA3 and Ada Lovelace will be introduced before the end of the year. Oh, least I forget, the board manufactures - like EVGA for example - have told nVidia that they have to clear out RTX 30#0 [ti] stock before they will purchase RTX 40#0 [ti] chips.

That last one, clearing old stock before manufacturing new GPUs will help with my purchase later this year. An older cat of mine nearly destroyed my computer, I had to replace my PSU, CPU (from Ryzen 5 2600 to Ryzen 5 5600), updated the motherboard (MB) from a 370 to a 570, and the new MB had a second M.2 SSD slot, so I added a gen 4 x4 SSD to do the heavy lifting (programs and OS) while my gen 3 x4 handles the data. If the new Ryzen 9 7950x was ready at the time I would not even consider replacing my GTX 1070 with a RX 6800 XT or RTX 3080 right now. Yet with me rebuilding my system one piece at a time (thank you Chubs) I might as well do so - once the prices fall more ;)

Aug 30, 2022
It perhaps was expected as everyone who wanted to get an AMD Radeon RX 6000-series or an Nvidia GeForce RTX 30-series graphics board had already done this.
Seriously guys? Nothing to do with insane prices and crypto crashing? I've been wanting to get one but couldn't justify the pricing. Then for the last couple of months, a lot of people are all of a sudden waiting for 40 series and encouraging everyone to do the same.

Reactions: prtskg and sherhi

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Gee, the excessive prices wouldn't have anything to do with it? GPU's are still no where near MSRP here. I would have replaced most of my 10 GPUs over the last two years if not for the ridiculous prices. I just bought my first GPU since 2019 a week ago.

Not really. Most people who needed a GPU would have bought it 1-2yrs ago. During lockdown period there was a massive boost in sales.

Now lockdown is over, most pple already have their PCs. Sales will naturally come down. It's not just gpus, CPU sales drop a lot too.

Btw, you need to stop looking at end user sales. The bulk of GPU sales come from oems. Sales to end users actually makes up only a small percentage.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Seriously guys? Nothing to do with insane prices and crypto crashing? I've been wanting to get one but couldn't justify the pricing. Then for the last couple of months, a lot of people are all of a sudden waiting for 40 series and encouraging everyone to do the same.

Not really. Most of insane prices and crypto actually affects end-user sales instead. The bulk of sales went to oem, not end users. Large companies like dell, hp, Lenovo etc have supply contracts, alot less susceptible to instance sale prices.

Volume sold to end users actually makes up only a small percentage of total sales. The bulk went to oems, the PC manufacturers. Now, these companies are reducing their orders so shipment is down.

D

Deleted member 431422

Wait... AMD outsold nvidia?
Someone noticed. I don't believe my eyes either. There must be an error, or APU's were included. Same goes for Intel. Cut the processors with iGPU and they are still insignificant.

Regarding the article:

Let's compare the sales to pre pandemic data. Recent two years were an anomaly. I for certain know that the store I work at has negative growth compared to last year. It had until I compared the data to 2019 and monthly sales were comparable if not better.
Nothing to be concerned about. Not unless you're a brick headed owner of shares who cares only about numbers in a spreadsheet.

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
All this news of “GPUs flooding the market” but the only 3060 & 3070s I’ve seen at or slightly below MSRP are used mining cards. The only cards that seem to be impacted price wise thus far are the top tier GPUs.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Yep. The price slashes aren't even sales, now we are slightly above old gen regular prices of the 30/2060 and possibly 30/2070. The 3080-3090 are still beyond consumer prices, especially during a double-war-pandemic-climate-crazy-wage-dropping-price-hiking time.

On top of that, given the theatrical intentional failure to prevent bots from clearing the floor, most people who wanted to buy a GPU for many months at some point had enough and just gave up and forgot about this generation for good reasons.

If Nvidia prices the 4000 series above 1k, they can keep their red quarters as well.
The Apple of Graphics Card, meanwhile AMD Is barely useful.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I wonder why... actually no I don't.
Insane prices, insane TDP's, crypto crash, energy crisis... (Not that I believe the latter)
The fact that any decent last gen card can play any game at the highest settings... (Same with processors really)
I haven't upgraded since the 1080 and I'm only now getting in to trouble with games that don't run smooth in 4K and how old is that card now...

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I wonder why... actually no I don't.
Insane prices, insane TDP's, crypto crash, energy crisis... (Not that I believe the latter)
The fact that any decent last gen card can play any game at the highest settings... (Same with processors really)
I haven't upgraded since the 1080 and I'm only now getting in to trouble with games that don't run smooth in 4K and how old is that card now...

My 2060 draws 195W under load and now we have 220W 4060. The ridiculous part is that it does that on almost any game unless you go in and frame rate cap it.

It's not the cost of power i care about as it's miniscule, it's the noise, and needing bigger PSU. But more on topic, OEM PC buyers are hosed, they can't even run a 3060 on most of those.

The XX60 cards used to be the go-to for an OEM gamer, now most of them can't run that tier of GPU. The performance race is locking a lot of people out.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've noticed a decrease in the availability of the 3090 and 3080 in the past week or two. I think the 4090 and 4080 are imminent. We're starting to see discounts hit the 3070, but the explosive growth of MSRPs during the crypto boom makes those big percentage discounts look better than they actually are. A lot of the discounted prices are still above Nvidia's MSRP!
<sarcasm>Oh noes, Nvidia's sales are crashing! Time for Nvidia to divest itself of its GPU business!</sarcasm>
Congrats on getting certified as a market analyst or acquiring your MBA degree! We're all proud of you! :)
During last two years lots of people was forced to find out that living without new GPU is possible. Now they use that newfound knowledge ... shocking!
Agreed. This is called breaking the cycle. People will upgrade on a schedule or as part of a habitual process. When you disrupt that cycle, it becomes easier to wait and look for alternatives for the thing not available. This is actually what happened to me. I normally upgrade every 2 generations, but not this time.

TRENDING THREADS