Judge Invalidates 13 Motorola Patent Claims Against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this Google trying to get out of some of their Microsoft pattent leases? I read a long time ago that SM is making some $20 per Android device sold due to patent leases... not sure if it is true, but it would go a long way to explain why it took them so long to get WP7/8 up and going. Why work at making a product when you can get money for free from your competition?

skyline100

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Is this Google trying to get out of some of their Microsoft pattent leases? I read a long time ago that SM is making some $20 per Android device sold due to patent leases... not sure if it is true, but it would go a long way to explain why it took them so long to get WP7/8 up and going. Why work at making a product when you can get money for free from your competition?[/citation]

For long term profit.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

We're ALL hoping this judge (or an actual NON-bribed judge) can hear ALL of the iCrapple suits and invalidate the patent(s).

And he stated it correctly - you can't "write code" to do something, and then claim the RESULT patentable. Because if someone else can write DIFFERENT code to do the same thing - nobody is allowed to stop them.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Now imagine Motorola/Microsoft/Apple ect... were targeting a perceived threat (competitor) that was a small developer of open source software.

Big corporation sends a letter warning... small developer reads threat letter, looks at $800 bank account balance, calculates the cost to defend against the frivolous (bogus) patent infringement claims... and promptly closes up shop and applies for work at McDonalds.

great world we're building here... great great world.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I just have to say: these underlined words with mouseover ads are really, really, REALLY annoying. (one 'really' for each one that opened when I moved my mouse across the screen just once.) Whoever had this horrible idea should be shot in the kneecaps with a 12 gauge.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I just have to say: these underlined words with mouseover ads are really, really, REALLY annoying. (one 'really' for each one that opened when I moved my mouse across the screen just once.) Whoever had this horrible idea should be shot in the kneecaps with a 12 gauge.[/citation]

What ads?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I just have to say: these underlined words with mouseover ads are really, really, REALLY annoying. (one 'really' for each one that opened when I moved my mouse across the screen just once.) Whoever had this horrible idea should be shot in the kneecaps with a 12 gauge.[/citation]

Adblock plus. That is all.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Is this Google trying to get out of some of their Microsoft pattent leases? I read a long time ago that SM is making some $20 per Android device sold due to patent leases... not sure if it is true, but it would go a long way to explain why it took them so long to get WP7/8 up and going. Why work at making a product when you can get money for free from your competition?[/citation]
Yes, according to articles, MS collects $20 per Android device sold. They get $2.50 per infringed patent, per phone.....a total of 8 patents. Considering the patents Google has been caught infringing and the source code Google blatantly stole....$20 per device isn't a bad deal....and Google did agree to it.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Yes, according to articles, MS collects $20 per Android device sold. They get $2.50 per infringed patent, per phone.....a total of 8 patents. Considering the patents Google has been caught infringing and the source code Google blatantly stole....$20 per device isn't a bad deal....and Google did agree to it.[/citation]

I totally feel that many patents blocks a lot of innovation, but then. I'm not getting $20 per android phone. I'm also not saying all patents - Some are just plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.