Judge: Microsoft Can't Sell Word in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
so if i'm reading this right having XML tags in a doc is patent infringement? Also looks like MS will be giving away another piece of software..

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
O.k. I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of the imagination, and these questions come to mind: What does this do for people that need to buy Word - I have a customer that was about to buy Word (her newspaper requires the newest version)... will she still be able to buy it now?

Also, what does this mean to those 3rd-party applications that offers Word compatibility, like Open Office, or some Palm applications?

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
HAHAHA!! Now i'm starting to really understand why the nu/Linux community don't believe in patents :D

Do you think open office will benifit from this?

G

"the software covered by the patent removed the need for individual, manually embedded command codes to control text formatting in electronic documents."
what?? and the patent is in 1998? when was the last time we use ctrl+K+D to modify text?

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
wow, we have one f*cked up patent system...

Wait a second, isn't microsoft business model mostly based on that f*ucked up patent system?. If it was the other way around and i4i was infringing a Microsoft patent, Microsoft would be all over them in court too.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]DarkMantle[/nom]Wait a second, isn't microsoft business model mostly based on that f*ucked up patent system?. If it was the other way around and i4i was infringing a Microsoft patent, Microsoft would be all over them in court too.[/citation]

I dunno about that.. I've read Microsoft and Linux distros infringe on each other and Unix.. But its like the cold war.. 1 fires their missiles everyone on every side will launch theirs so they have a stand still and just infringe their marry ways..

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
LOL is RIGHT! Maybe it is Karma that is causing the uncontrollable rage to pirate copies of windows. Kind of like the Native American Indian curse of the Tobacco plant. Sounds reasonable to me!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jediagh[/nom]So the priates of Xerox finally get caught?[/citation]
That'd be Apple who also stole *nix and called it Mac OS.

hennnry

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
All big companies file thousands of patents so that when company A sues B, B counter sues A. And that made the big companies stand still on patent war.

The small companies however, wants to sue big companies for quick cash. And it almost always worked because of how screwed up the Patent law really is.

US Patent law has not changed since pre-consumer-software time. It really isn't suited for the high speed of software development.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
rofl.

Maybe I should start registering some patents like "a device which lets users to input their emotional feelings into a computer system"

AHH ! I WILL BE RICH IN 10-20 YEARS ! WEEEEEHEEE !

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
So wait, MS Office is illegal to sell now (after all, it comes with Word)?

I guess this means that I get to pump OpenOffice more often now, but something is awry here. Shouldn't the judge just of ordered MS to pay a fee then a licensing fee?

Also, I didn't know one could hold the patents for utility like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.