Judge Says Rambus Destroyed Evidence, But Patents Valid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]Rumor is that there is a loose consortium of high tech companies that have taken it upon themselves to "police" IP protection and patent abuse, and that IBM and MSFT are both part of this group, along with some HW manufs and others. I don't know whether this rumor is true or not, so grain of salt if you will.[/citation]

If they did, wouldn't be better to lobby for IP patent changes?

[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]@pinhedd:falchard is right. IBM did patent the patent troll process. But they tend to use this patent (along with many of their other patents) defensively, not offensively. In other words, try patent-trolling IBM, and watch what happens.Rumor is that there is a loose consortium of high tech companies that have taken it upon themselves to "police" IP protection and patent abuse, and that IBM and MSFT are both part of this group, along with some HW manufs and others. I don't know whether this rumor is true or not, so grain of salt if you will.[/citation]

Patent trolling is where an NPE (non-practicing entity, a shell company, research company or licensing company that owns patents but has no products) uses a patent offensively after an allegedly infringing product has reached maturity in order to maximize statutory damages. Since the NPE has no products, they are immune to counter suits.

Strangely enough IBM did actually try to patent some processes designed to monetize patents but seeing as IBM is a practising company with huge product and research divisions I would stop short of calling them a patent troll. Licensing is a huge part of their revenue stream and a huge amount of said revenue goes back into R&D, I'm okay with this. A patent troll is only interested in filing a flurry of lawsuits in order to maximize damages and score a huge payoff for shareholders.

Trying to take IBM on in a patent suit would be like trying to sink the USS Missouri with small arms fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.