Jumpshot Kickstarter: Fully Automated Solution for PC Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You could...I dunno...install free anti-virus and anti-malware programs on the computer and make a limited-access account for the problematic users...? And never have to worry about an infection in the first place.

You know, slightly unrelated, but Kickstarter used to be a neat place to come see some really awesome ideas--but now it seems like everyone is asking for support for some really puzzling products--not necessarily talking about this one in particular, but a lot.

lanbaner

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
as good as this solution might be I feel like the funding goal is always set to a lower expected amount so that they can "smash" their "expected" funding to create more hype arround the device.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I used Ubuntu for my siblings, and I told them to click on those things just for the fun of it. Loved their shocked faces at the fact that it didn't cause the computer to die :)

There are always other options.

sa1nt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Just tell them to buy a Mac... and when they do tell them you don't know anything about Macs and that they're on their own.[/citation]
I have done that but it sounds more evil when you say it that way.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Just tell them to buy a Mac... and when they do tell them you don't know anything about Macs and that they're on their own."

Crap, I've been doing it all wrong-- I've been dissuading my malware infested dependents from Apple products *because* I don't know much about them. I'll reverse that immediately :)

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Just tell them to buy a Mac... and when they do tell them you don't know anything about Macs and that they're on their own.[/citation]

Why not tell them to get Linux and then tell then you don't know anything about Linux. That way they are slightly safer and you don't have anything to worry about and they save a fair bit of money as well so its win win.

G

Uhhh, with the proliferation and ever changing landscape of viruses and spyware, devices like this will never work. Hell even running kaspersky/NOD32 still fail to catch viruses, and those programs update constantly. Just another stupid kickstarter bubble paid for by idiots who have no idea what they're investing in. "Hey, this thing removes viruses. I dont like viruses. SIGN ME UP!" Uhg.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]lolkick[/nom]Uhhh, with the proliferation and ever changing landscape of viruses and spyware, devices like this will never work. Hell even running kaspersky/NOD32 still fail to catch viruses, and those programs update constantly. Just another stupid kickstarter bubble paid for by idiots who have no idea what they're investing in. "Hey, this thing removes viruses. I dont like viruses. SIGN ME UP!" Uhg.[/citation]
I agree.

Also, being able to clean up after virus/malware infestation is fine and dandy--but what about the fact that they're there in the first place? Doing god knows what and/or harvesting god knows what info.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]I agree.Also, being able to clean up after virus/malware infestation is fine and dandy--but what about the fact that they're there in the first place? Doing god knows what and/or harvesting god knows what info.[/citation]

The problem with that is we are still using signature based virus engines. I remember some years ago reading about how they will continue to become more and more inefficient. The answer is a true heuristics AV Engine, not a Signature + Heuristics. The downside, is that currently the heuristics in AV is very processor intensive - though it seems they are much more effective with heuristics turned on (at least from what I've seen with my friends/family).

Status
Not open for further replies.