Question just a quick question about RAM speeds

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
hi, im building a new system and am going to use the Ryzen 2600xCPU, it says on the CPU specs it supports DDR4 2933 Mhz RAM which I know is somewhat false as Im sure Ryzen can do more, the board IM going to use will support over 3200Mhz DDR4, so I was wondering , the 2933Mhz is only like 10$ cheaper than the 3200Mhz, so would I be wiser to buy the 3200Mhz and even if I dont over clock using XMP will it still not function like 2933Mhz? I just want to get whats best for the money, and without too many issues (I know XMP sometimes is a pain and doesn't always work right either) .. any insight would be great.. Oh and while your reading this, another question a tad off topic, can anyone tell me the difference between the Ryzen 2600x and 2600, all I can see is 1 the 2600x uses more power, and 2 runs a tad faster.. if that's all the difference, is it worth the 50$ difference between the two? or should I buy the cheaper and OC to 4.2 like the X is (at base)

Yes get the faster ram. Ryzen loves faster ram. You cannot go wrong getting the faster ram, I believe the cpu supports up to 3600mhz.

I have the 2600. I enabled game mode in my bios to keep it at 3.9ghz, which is max boost speed, while gaming.

Works great, and in fact I have a gtx 1060 3gb and my gpu is the bottleneck. My cpu never goes above 50% usage in ANY game, for example, Apex Legends on competative settings 90-200fps, cpu never goes above 50% usage and mostly runs around 40%. So unless your running 4k, I doubt you would need the 2600x.

On top of that the 2600 is easily overclockable to 4.0ghz, I did it. I couldnt get it to 4.1 however, but Im also very new to overclocking. But I tried setting voltage to 1.4 and clock to 4.1 and that didnt work, but 1.35v with 4.0ghz did work. However I didnt really need this overclock as my gpu is my bottleneck so I just reverted to the core boost of 3.9

Get the faster ram with the money you save by just getting the 2600, win win.