Question Just bought a 6tb wd black hdd and I can’t initialise it without an I/O error

Jul 14, 2022
Aight I’m at my wits end rn with this damn thing.

As the title says I just bought a 6tb wd black hdd and I can’t initialise it without an I/O error. I’ve tried swapping all the cables from my other SSD’s which work fine and tried different power slots, can’t do a chkdsk since I can’t assign it a letter, tried restarting the PC numerous times (obviously) but I’m out of ideas. I saw a post that said I might need a different 15 pin SATA power cable but if there’s an easier fix I’m missing that would be much better. My current PC just has typical SATA power cables for them (uploaded images at the end in case it helps)
Specs:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB
System type Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Currently have a 1TB SSD, 500gb SSD & a 250gb SSD

EPiqPMd.jpg
h6dYE4i.jpg

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You already have the PC open, why not test it with one of the other SATA power connectors? Though if it's a cable issue, it's far more likely to be the data cable, not the power one.

In any case, if after swapping both cables there's no change, RMA it. DOA hard drives are not that unusual.

Jul 14, 2022
You already have the PC open, why not test it with one of the other SATA power connectors? Though if it's a cable issue, it's far more likely to be the data cable, not the power one.

In any case, if after swapping both cables there's no change, RMA it. DOA hard drives are not that unusual.

I was definitely hoping this wouldn't be the case, but i've tried swapping all the different cables between one another with no luck :/