[SOLVED] Just bought a new SSD

SeroChan

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z68AP-D3.
Two HDDs, one 500Gb and one 1 TB.

Bought a new Crucial BX500. Windows 10 with all the basic programs are installed on Local Disk C (100GB total with 63GB used) on the 500GB HDD and I want to use this new SSD as the boot drive or...I want to install windows on it.

How do I copy or migrate Local Disk C to the new SSD and use it as the boot drive WITHOUT formatting the other HDDs entirely, just local disk C?

Thank you.

Also I have a seasonic s12II bronze 80+ 520 Watts. I still haven't checked if I have a free power connector but I'll buy to molex converter just in case.

Solution
I'd install Macrium Reflect, and, do a clone, specifying the source as your current C;Drive, new SSD as the destination...(plenty of tutorials on Macrium, but with non-cryptic options like 'Clone this Disk', it's pretty hard to mess it up. :)

WHen complete, disconnect old drive, set BIOS boot device priority to boot from SSD which should be a much faster version of your old C: Drive, all data intact.
I'd install Macrium Reflect, and, do a clone, specifying the source as your current C;Drive, new SSD as the destination...(plenty of tutorials on Macrium, but with non-cryptic options like 'Clone this Disk', it's pretty hard to mess it up. :)

WHen complete, disconnect old drive, set BIOS boot device priority to boot from SSD which should be a much faster version of your old C: Drive, all data intact.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

Endre

Reputable
Th
My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z68AP-D3.
Two HDDs, one 500Gb and one 1 TB.

Bought a new Crucial BX500. Windows 10 with all the basic programs are installed on Local Disk C (100GB total with 63GB used) on the 500GB HDD and I want to use this new SSD as the boot drive or...I want to install windows on it.

How do I copy or migrate Local Disk C to the new SSD and use it as the boot drive WITHOUT formatting the other HDDs entirely, just local disk C?

Thank you.

Also I have a seasonic s12II bronze 80+ 520 Watts. I still haven't checked if I have a free power connector but I'll buy to molex converter just in case.

The way I’d do it:
•I’d, copy personal files on another drive.
•Format the HDD (maybe re-partition it to have only 1 large partition on the HDD).
•Insert the SSD
•Install Windows on the SSD
•Re-copy personal files on the HDD