[SOLVED] Just bought a used "Working" AMD FX 8300, but it wont boot.

Oct 21, 2020
Just bought an AMD FX 8300 from a nice guy on eBay, I was pretty excited to throw that bad boy in my PC but it refuses to boot, I tried reseating everything, but no matter what, I can only boot up with my 6300.

My Current setup is;

AMD FX 6300
16Gb of 1600mhz noname ram
N68-GS4 FX R2.0
RX 570 8Gb
and a couple of Samsung 1TB SSD's

I'm aware of my computers 95w limitation, and everywhere online states that the 8300 is 95w, but this specific CPU seems to be the "Black Edition" could that mean it's possibly 125w? I'm not a big computer guy anymore, I built this PC back in 2017 with a GTX1050, instead, and it's never given me any trouble until now. I would like to maybe upgrade to a Ryzen based system, but that would mean about 220$ in a new Motherboard, ram, and a Ryzen 3200g, compared to the 60-ish dollars of the 8300.
The guy gave me a full refund and let me keep the CPU, so I was able to order another, and in my mind come out on top.

any help would be nice, thanks.

Solution
honestly man, don't know how. I've never had to mess with BIOS stuff.
There is nearly always a bios reset jumper, switch or button on the motherboard and listed in the manual how to activate them, but you can just remove the CR2032 (button cell) battery from the motherboard for up to 5 minutes to reset the bios to defaults.

When switching CPUs, it's a very good idea to always reset the bios to defaults. There are situations where a new CPU may needs less voltage set in bios or some other settings need to be changed for the new CPU to function. So for one example, if you put in a CPU that requires lower voltage than the previous, you can fry the CPU if it's too high.
Just bought an AMD FX 8300 from a nice guy on eBay, I was pretty excited to throw that bad boy in my PC but it refuses to boot, I tried reseating everything, but no matter what, I can only boot up with my 6300.

My Current setup is;

AMD FX 6300
16Gb of 1600mhz noname ram
N68-GS4 FX R2.0
RX 570 8Gb
and a couple of Samsung 1TB SSD's

I'm aware of my computers 95w limitation, and everywhere online states that the 8300 is 95w, but this specific CPU seems to be the "Black Edition" could that mean it's possibly 125w? I'm not a big computer guy anymore, I built this PC back in 2017 with a GTX1050, instead, and it's never given me any trouble until now. I would like to maybe upgrade to a Ryzen based system, but that would mean about 220$ in a new Motherboard, ram, and a Ryzen 3200g, compared to the 60-ish dollars of the 8300.
The guy gave me a full refund and let me keep the CPU, so I was able to order another, and in my mind come out on top.

any help would be nice, thanks.

Motherboard ROM update?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not hard, except it takes a while on those old pc's, most failures can be attributed to user stupidity, they either didn't follow the instructions exactly or assumed there was something wrong, and rebooted. Must follow the instructions To The Letter. Don't even touch the keyboard/mouse unless instructed to.

Oct 21, 2020
It's not hard, except it takes a while on those old pc's, most failures can be attributed to user stupidity, they either didn't follow the instructions exactly or assumed there was something wrong, and rebooted. Must follow the instructions To The Letter. Don't even touch the keyboard/mouse unless instructed to.
Well thanks for putting it lightly, but I did let it sit for a while after putting the 8300 in, as well as just power cycled it just in case. but like I said, nothing.
I have ordered another used 8300 from a good reseller. it should be coming in tomorrow. so ill be able to test both after making sure I got the right BIOS.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
FD8300WMW8KHK was the Open Tray version of the 8300, the FD8300WMW8BOX was the retail version that came in a box and included a stock cpu cooler.

In the beginning, you had regular cpus that had locked multipliers, no OC other than what could be done with the FSB on the motherboard. Then Amd introduced the Black Edition with an unlocked multiplyer. About the time of the Phenom II's, all AMD cpus were unlocked as a 'stick it to intel' thing. Marketing sales used Black Edition for All the FX, just a sales gimmick. It literally means nothing for any of the FX series since they are all unlocked, all Black Editions.

honestly man, don't know how. I've never had to mess with BIOS stuff.
There is nearly always a bios reset jumper, switch or button on the motherboard and listed in the manual how to activate them, but you can just remove the CR2032 (button cell) battery from the motherboard for up to 5 minutes to reset the bios to defaults.

When switching CPUs, it's a very good idea to always reset the bios to defaults. There are situations where a new CPU may needs less voltage set in bios or some other settings need to be changed for the new CPU to function. So for one example, if you put in a CPU that requires lower voltage than the previous, you can fry the CPU if it's too high.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution