Just bought a Xeon e3-1230 v2 and an MSI h61mu-e35, can I overclock from 3.3 to 3.5 ghz

jamesowenhardy

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
For a budget gaming rig, I decided to go the used route and found an h61 board for 45 and a Xeon 1230 v2 for 80 dollars. I want to know if the bios for my msi h61 has any sort of oc support.
YES I DO KNOW XEONS CANNOT BE OVERCLOCKED... but to an extent, they can just a little bit. I'm trying to match the frequency to the 1270 v2 which has a base clock of 3.5 ghz with the 1230. Anyone have any experience with this? Can I boost my 1230 v2 up 200 mhz on an msi h61 or am I wasting my time.

Solution
Probably you are wasting your time, but there WERE a few H61 boards with some BCLK overclocking support. However, without knowing what model you have it's impossible to say.

The difference in clock speed is probably not worth it though and you stand a good chance of causing OTHER components to not run correctly.
Probably you are wasting your time, but there WERE a few H61 boards with some BCLK overclocking support. However, without knowing what model you have it's impossible to say.

The difference in clock speed is probably not worth it though and you stand a good chance of causing OTHER components to not run correctly.

Solution