Just bought gtx770 need help

djperrotti

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Hello all, (before you read there are system specs at bottom)

I recently purchased a gtx 770 SC for Christmas and had very high expectations for this GPU. I get a lot of stutter in video games, where it would freeze for a second and fps will drop drastically then go back up to normal. I also notice that I should be getting more FPS in games like CS GO. I had an old 550ti that would get over 150fps+ on cs go and this card is only getting about anywhere between 110-160 fps. I looked up my problem and was thinking maybe my CPU is bottlenecking. Some other things I notice is that in games (cs go, wow, ect.) that if I turn my graphics on highest I get the same fps when I put them on low. Like the lower setting doesn't have any effect on the fps. I have tried many drivers including the most recent beta driver and the most stable with no change.

My question is do you think my CPU is bottlenecking and making my graphics card under perform in simple games like CS GO and WoW? My other question is if yes my cpu is bottlenecking, would downgrading to a card like a gtx 760 run better with my cpu and not bottleneck? I don't want to spend another 300+ on a new cpu so that's not an option.

Here are my PC specs:
GTX 770 SC
i5-2500 @ 3.30 (I have also tried overclocking it to 4.1 with same results)
8gb DDR3 1600Mhz ram
700w OCZ Power Supply

no your CPU wouldn't be bottlenecking your graphics card if that's one thing on your mind. I am thinking that with these games you listed, these aren't very well coded ones so I wouldn't expect anything over those FPS anyways, here is a little test to try, Using both your 550 Ti and GTX 770, try a game like Crysis 3 or BF3/4 and see how those FPS compare. I think it is the game that is giving you the trouble and not the card or CPU. This will just see what the problem was or could be

djperrotti

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I've tested a few games with both graphic cards. Games like bf3, bf4, bioshock run fine 50+ fps @ 1920 x 1200 on my gtx 770 with a few hiccups and my GPU usage was mostly at 90% or more which is a good sign. But I still get these random quick fps drops every few seconds then my fps jumps back up which is quite annoying.
Other games I tested was Dayz Standalone, CS GO, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft where my GPU and CPU usage is always less than 55%. Why is that?

I tested my 550ti as well and got lower frames so I had to play on lower settings but it was fully utilizing my gpu usage and very little or no random fps drops.
I'm not sure if I should take the card back for a refund or what. I mostly play the bottom list, but wanted a card that could stay current with newer games coming out. Do these seem like common symptoms with this card? Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
did you run 3dmark @ max settings and see if it does the stutter thing, also another way around open Precision X and set fps the same as your monitor refresh rate and see if you can play with less stutter

sometimes you need to do clean installation of windows get things sorted out

yeah, Nvidia sometimes have bad driver releases which will be fixed but having fps drops and such is common for the meantime. This is currently unfixable, but similar issues occurred in the GTX 780 which was recently fixed so when the next driver comes out or you don't have the latest, update it and see if that helps. In games like BF3/4 and such, expect better fps then the 550Ti but fps are never going to be consistent, they are sometimes all over the joint going from high 100 fps to low 20-30 fps. This is quite common but it is to be expected.