Question Just Built New PC, Really Low Benchmarks

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
Just built my first PC, booted up fine, installed windows 10 all good. Only problem I noticed was it seemed a bit slow everytime I restarted it.

Temps seem good and so does usage.

So then I did a benchmark and Cpu, gpu and ram (set to 3200) all scored much lower than they should have.

I also downloaded cpuz but not sure how to use it, I did take a picture, the things down the bottom I think speed and multiplier vary a lot at one point it’s 3000 the next 800 and the multiplier goes much lower as well.

I literally have no idea what to even start doing to problem solve this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/z6CJ1WS

Unless under a stressful load, it is normal (in Balanced power plan) for clock speed to vary between 800 MHz and 4.9 GHz (9700K specs).

As for in benchmarks, your results will most likely be compared to all folks using MCE-enabled mainboards (all cores boosting to max turbo at 135-150 watts, likely overclocked to as high as 5.1 GHz or so), so I'd not lose much sleep over others getting higher scores unless you know more about the exact conditions used to obtain said scores in 'Userbench xxx.xx"

Install/launch HWMonitor, and then run Prime95 v26.6 /small FFTs...

You should see all cores boost to about 4.5-4.6 GHz or so, and, when stopping Prime95, all cores should ramp back down to 800-1200 MHz, fluctuating up/down every few seconds to between 2000-4600 MHz or more as tasks open/close automatically.

You might gain more insight comparing bench results within Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (benchmark only takes 20-30 seconds or so), but, again, your results will be compared to the overclockers running 3200-4000 MHz RAM speeds with all-core overclocks at 5.1 GHz, so don't be expecting to be in the top 10% :)

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
Unless under a stressful load, it is normal (in Balanced power plan) for clock speed to vary between 800 MHz and 4.9 GHz (9700K specs).

As for in benchmarks, your results will most likely be compared to all folks using MCE-enabled mainboards (all cores boosting to max turbo at 135-150 watts, likely overclocked to as high as 5.1 GHz or so), so I'd not lose much sleep over others getting higher scores unless you know more about the exact conditions used to obtain said scores in 'Userbench xxx.xx"

Install/launch HWMonitor, and then run Prime95 v26.6 /small FFTs...

You should see all cores boost to about 4.5-4.6 GHz or so, and, when stopping Prime95, all cores should ramp back down to 800-1200 MHz, fluctuating up/down every few seconds to between 2000-4600 MHz or more as tasks open/close automatically.

You might gain more insight comparing bench results within Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (benchmark only takes 20-30 seconds or so), but, again, your results will be compared to the overclockers running 3200-4000 MHz RAM speeds with all-core overclocks at 5.1 GHz, so don't be expecting to be in the top 10% :)

That is really reliving, thank you, took me two days to finish build, no sleep and then got worried about this.

I will try out this hw monitor.

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
Last edited:
when it says 'restarting' it most close lots of services beforehand, so, yes, that's not unusual...

certainly temps of 40-41C with tiny bursts of activity when just tinkering with a desktop/surfing, etc. would be commonplace....

HWMonitor will give a very good picture of what's happening with what cores/clock speeds, applied core voltage, etc..

NOTE: The Asus boards do have MCE as option, if/when you are ever interested in that option, which would allow all cores to boost to 4.9 GHz under heavy load; this MIGHT require a core voltage increase and possibly a removal of power limits for your mainboard's BIOS, so, use at your own risk, but, let's first make sure you are happy with current performance and are problem free...

A quick run of Prime 95 (ver 26.6) is preferred, and you should see all cores boost to 4.6 Ghz or so, and fluctuating temps of 70-80C in Prime95/default blended mode...(small FFTs wil likely get closer to 80-85C)

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Last edited:

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
when it says 'restarting' it most close lots of services beforehand, so, yes, that's not unusual...

certainly temps of 40-41C with tiny bursts of activity when just tinkering with a desktop/surfing, etc. would be commonplace....

HWMonitor will give a very good picture of what's happening with what cores/clock speeds, applied core voltage, etc..

NOTE: The Asus boards do have MCE as option, if/when you are ever interested in that option, which would allow all cores to boost to 4.9 GHz under heavy load; this MIGHT require a core voltage increase and possibly a removal of power limits for your mainboard's BIOS, so, use at your own risk, but, let's first make sure you are happy with current performance and are problem free...

A quick run of Prime 95 (ver 26.6) is preferred, and you should see all cores boost to 4.6 Ghz or so, and fluctuating temps of 70-80C in Prime95/default blended mode...(small FFTs wil likely get closer to 80-85C)

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Firstly, thank you so much for helping me out, I really really appreciate it.

I have no real idea, what I am looking at this was small ffts View: https://imgur.com/jAHD8Mh

and this was blend View: https://imgur.com/rGqaQww

Is this good?

WHich version of Prime95 is that? (the 'help' within Prime95 tab will show you')

The version at Mersenne's webpage, v 29.x or whatever, gives even hotter temps than the 'standard' version 26.6, which even Intel themselves spec/acknowledge as a full power TDP load for their CPUs...; it is the defacto 'standard' used to heat a CPU to levels unlikely to be seen out of Blender rendering loads, and likely will never be seen in gaming, etc..)

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
Just saw you had a GTX2080? Nice! Enjoy!

See ya on the Battlefield 1 battlefields!

Looking forward to it, one last question though. I just played some total war warhammer 2, all on ultra during a big battle, fps was pretty much fine, but I had 100% core usage on all cores, is this normal?

The 2080 is a very capable GPU, so the CPU will be kept busy supplying it, especially if at 1080P resolution, and, even moreso if on a 100/144 Hz monitor...; I'd not worry about it, perhaps the game in question utilizes 8 cores/8 threads fairly well...

(Other Youtube videos seem to show Warhammer with 40-60% CPU usage on a 9700K...; was this a clean/fresh WIn10 install, or did you swap motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU from some other build and are using an the original OS with hopefully updated drivers?)

rexhunter

Prominent
May 15, 2018
The 2080 is a very capable GPU, so the CPU will be kept busy supplying it, especially if at 1080P resolution, and, even moreso if on a 100/144 Hz monitor...; I'd not worry about it, perhaps the game in question utilizes 8 cores/8 threads fairly well...

(Other Youtube videos seem to show Warhammer with 40-60% CPU usage on a 9700K...; was this a clean/fresh WIn10 install, or did you swap motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU from some other build and are using an the original OS with hopefully updated drivers?)
Completely fresh install

Reactions: hopsteriam

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
I have found with some ram, using the XMP actually has the system running SLOWER. Try slowing the ram 1 step down (as in 1333 not 1600 for example) and run benchmarks again then look at the results. Faster raw ram speed gives slower timings, sometimes the math does not work and a slower (What the ram is actually sold for, lower raw mhz but faster timings) is better than the XMP. Just my VERY limited experience compared with most on here but sometimes new eyes can see things old eyes do not.........