Just changed CPUs and now it won't boot/nothing on the screen

bnigga

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Hey guys, so i've been building my pc and after having completed the build with a i5 4670K, i decided to change the CPU. So i returned the i5 and got in exchange a Xeon E3-1230 v3.
I have installed the Xeon chip and stock heatsink and now the computer won't boot. I am floundering for reasons why this could be as my mobo is (i'm pretty sure) compatible with both.
the mobo is an Asus Z87-A.
Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.

Solution
Contrary to what Jake Lloyd is saying, the Xeon E3 1230 v3 IS a socket 1150 CPU, however, for your motherboard to function with it, it needs BIOS version 1405, so that might be the problem.

If you have disassembled you PC to insert the Xeon, did you remember to insert the CPU power cable?

Jake Lloyd

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
If you read my last post disregard, I typed in the wrong number and looked up the wrong CPU. They're both 1150 and should work. Check the pins again and see if any are missing or bent.

Didn't thing about this until I realized that it shouldn't even have fit if it was a different socket.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Contrary to what Jake Lloyd is saying, the Xeon E3 1230 v3 IS a socket 1150 CPU, however, for your motherboard to function with it, it needs BIOS version 1405, so that might be the problem.

If you have disassembled you PC to insert the Xeon, did you remember to insert the CPU power cable?

Solution

bnigga

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
hey guys, thanks for your quick responses. Indeed i inserted the power cable that comes form the fan if that is what you are referring to.
As for the BIOS, it should be updated as i had gotten the guys at the store when they mounted the first CPU to update the BIOS, etc.
:( this is so stressful thanks again everyone!

bnigga

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
omg. you are right! haha i hadn't connected that stupid power cable! aahh! i'm so stupid! although i never remember unplugging it!
i'll report back in 2 mins.
Thanks lothdk!