Question Just curious if the factory warranty stays valid if you purchase a new asus mobo that is 3 to 5 years old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Seems it should be no problem but thought I'd ask. They might have a 7 years policy or something before warranties themselves expire.

You will have a warranty from the place you buy it, the factory warranty probably will be in place, you would have to read up on each company, but the issue is that they will probably not have any replacement boards anymore so they won't be able to just send you a new one.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
You will have a warranty from the place you buy it, the factory warranty probably will be in place, you would have to read up on each company, but the issue is that they will probably not have any replacement boards anymore so they won't be able to just send you a new one.
Well, Asus has 3 warranty stations in the united states, it seems asus is the one to honor a warranty, not the seller. what makes you think that? Its a new board with a factory warranty, not the sellers warranty.

Well, Asus has 3 warranty stations in the united states, it seems asus is the one to honor a warranty, not the seller. what makes you think that? Its a new board with a factory warranty, not the sellers warranty.
If ASUS sold you directly a 3-5 years old mobo then they did it because they can still honor the warranty.

If you bought from a brick and mortar or online store you still have a warranty from that store, depending on where you are it might be 1 or 2 years, where they will at least give you back your money.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
If ASUS sold you directly a 3-5 years old mobo then they did it because they can still honor the warranty.

If you bought from a brick and mortar or online store you still have a warranty from that store, depending on where you are it might be 1 or 2 years, where they will at least give you back your money.
Yah, probably. Some places give a 90 day warranty on used stuff. I was asking about NEW motherboards in the title though.

Yah, probably. Some places give a 90 day warranty on used stuff. I was asking about NEW motherboards in the title though.
I don't know what's going on in other countries, but in the EU not only the manufacturer but also the retailer has to provide a 2 year warranty.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/busine...s-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Also if it's new it's not 3-5 years old.
Either it's new and all the normal conditions apply, or it's 3-5 years old and the manufacturer might not support it anymore.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm confused and the posters here are confused, so I think some clarification of what you mean is necessary. What exactly do you mean by a "new" motherboard that's three to five years old? And from where did you obtain this motherboard?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I'm confused and the posters here are confused, so I think some clarification of what you mean is necessary. What exactly do you mean by a "new" motherboard that's three to five years old? And from where did you obtain this motherboard?
I had to replace a mother board that went bad with another one that never sold. Therefore it's technically a purchase as new and not used. So they give you a warranty when you buy a new product. This one was manufactured around 2018 or so. I was curious if the manufacture warranty itself had a time limit of 7 years or something after it was manufactured. This came from Owens in China, but it thru new egg. There are still a lot of boards for the intel 8th generation processor for sale. I don't see a problem with this purchase since it's an asus mobo and there very much still in business. But what my other 12 year old asus mobo needed to be replaced and a seller still had one that was never sold. Would it still come with a factory warranty? After all it's been packaged up setting for 12 years. In general some electrolytic capacitors can cause problems after setting idle for that long. So it seems possible there is a time limit on the factory warranty. It's also possible a factory authorized reseller is not allowed to sell something that old. Perhaps that is one of the reasons they have blow out sales. It's something to consider when you purchase a board, do you really know if the factory warranty is still valid. We should be able to get the serial number along from the seller and be able to verify warranty coverage but you don't get that until the package arrives. In my case it's 45 days of shipping, I'm not going to open it until after I register it and make sure it still has the factory warranty. If not, it's going right back to the seller, if they are still in business that is. I think what I'll do is ask the seller for the serial number and check with Asus. All I really have is faith in new egg at this point that Owens is a reputable company. https://www.newegg.com/Seller-Store/Owens

Status
Not open for further replies.