Build Complete Just enthused about this little ASRock A300-based system...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have an older Dell Inspiron Small Desktop 3647, 4GB RAM, Pentium G3220 (Haswell era), 500GB HDD, integrated graphics. It's a dual-boot Windows 10 Home and Lubuntu system. I basically can't say I've used it for Windows much at all once I took it back from my son (he got a newer, more powerful machine), and the Linux portion is just used for connecting to work (vpnc/Remmina), and doing some web browsing, Facebook and YouTube use. YouTube is a bit awkward only insofar as the Intel graphics can only support 30Hz refresh on my monitor's 3840x1600 resolution, and web-browsing with several tabs open can tax the 4GB of RAM (Facebook I'm looking at YOU). Oh, and maybe a tiny bit of retro gaming (I used PlayOnLinux to install Heroes of Might and Magic 3). Total disk usage of the Linux install is under 20GB.

Still, the idea of something smaller to cover these needs appealed to me. At first I was going to try using a Raspberry Pi, though maybe Rock64 as the latter has more RAM and a slightly faster CPU. Yet, I couldn't get nailed down for certain if it would support ultrawide resolutions, even though it technically supports 4K. Plus, what I subsequently read indicates that using this as a regular machine with Linux is still a sluggish experience.

Then this ASRock A300 was announced. I was suddenly kind of obsessed with the idea of replacing the Inspiron with this. I know that even the Athlon 200GE is a more capable CPU, and has more capable integrated graphics. The plan was 8GB RAM, a small, inexpensive SSD (preferably NVMe), and an Athlon 200GE. That the Athlon, while rated for 35W, typically draws under 20W even when maxed out, was an added bonus. Makes the 54W Pentium look like a power-hog by comparison.

My goal - put this thing together, for a grand total that comes in under $300, with EVERY cost included (shipping, sales tax, or even gas/tolls if I drove out to Micro Center to pick up any parts. Yes, I was hyper-obsessive on calculating everything because I wanted to convince myself I REALLy did it that cheaply).

One hindrance is that the base A300 would not be available in the US - so I'd be stuck paying extra for the A300W, which includes the WiFi (that I don't need) as well as the optional small heatsink (the Athlon heatsinks are only slightly bigger, and I've read even the 2200g/2400g heatsink/fan combo fits if the shroud is removed from the top). Ergo, instead of the base model's $119.99, I have to get the A300W variety at $149.99.

The SSD should be arriving today, but, put together semi-piecemeal (Ordered separately from the A300W and RAM, as I was conflicted as to whether to go with a 128 vs 256 SSD, the 256 was way better bang for the buck, but would've exceeded my $300 psychological threshold).

1. Barebones system + RAM order from NewEgg - Total: $209.86
    1. ASRock A300W: $149.99
    2. 2x4GB matched pair G.Skill Ripjaws 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM kit: $41.99
    3. Combined shipping: $4.84
    4. NJ Sales tax: $13.04
  2. Patriot Scorch 128GB NVMe SSD (PCIe x2, yeah, I know) ordered from NewEgg - Total: $34.11
    1. Drive: $31.99
    2. NJ Sales Tax: $2.12
  3. Athlon 200GE APU from Micro Center - Total: $50.39 (EDIT: $48.59 because I originally fumble-fingered on the sales tax below)
    1. APU: $44.99
    2. $5 off coupon for $30+ in store purchase: -$5.00
    3. PA Sales tax: $4.20 (EDIT: $2.40, because I fumble-fingered)
    4. Tolls I wouldn't have otherwise paid: $4.20
    5. Gasoline I wouldn't have otherwise used in the extra driving: $2.00 (approx, maybe SLIGHTLY overestimated, I drive a Prius)
  4. GRAND TOTAL: $294.36 (EDIT: $292.56 after fixing my CPU pricing error)
Yeah, I scheduled the APU purchase on a day when I was heading to a friend's place in PA anyway from NJ, but still a bit out of my way. Ergo, I didn't count the $5 toll over the bridge from NJ to PA.

OS will be likely Lubuntu again, or Mint/Xfce, so, no cost for OS.

The extra $11 for the 256GB SSD would've put me over, and it was extra storage space that would've gone unused anyway. The SSD I got is the 128GB version of the otherwise same 256GB model that someone on Reddit has used on this system. The RAM was from the QVL list.

A couple of days AFTER I got the APU, NewEgg then listed it on sale for $49.99. After sales tax, the extra $2.91 might've been worth it to not be in the car as long, but, eh, I had no way of knowing that price drop was coming.

I considered a faster Athlon, and faster RAM, but the percentage of cost increase for each would be much more than the percentage of performance increase, so I passed on those. Also, would've definitely put me over the $300 mark. Plus, I didn't need the extra performance for my use case on this little guy.

The credit card I used for all the purchases (and yes, I use the same one for gas, and to pay the EZpass charges) gives 1.5% back on everything. I that would technically reduce the price by $4.41 for me, putting it at $289.95, but I think I might be getting a little ridiculous by counting that.

Any which way, I'm way more enthusiastic about putting together this little system than I thought I would be, considering the limited use it'll be seeing. I'm definitely looking forward to putting it together, which will happen this weekend. As my son will be with me, well, while not a typical PC install, this'll be his first exposure to putting a PC together.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks great. I like that chassis.

I've done similar. I bought an E350 Mini-ITX board to use as an HTPC, the first of the AMD APUs. Put it in a small form factor case that looked like a DVD player. It worked okay for a while, even capable of running a lot of my old game titles. Then the general internet started demanding more processing power then it could deliver. Gave it to a co-worker to use as a SNES emulator, I'm told it was a hit with the kids.

Upgraded myself to an i3-4130T and now it has a GT1030 in it for my 4K TV.

I've had my eye on the STX form factor for a while or a Hades Canyon Intel/Vega chip, or other NUC. Still too expensive and I wouldn't have room for hard drives. Still, 2TB M.2 SSDs are getting pretty reasonable. Might start looking at it again in a year or two.

Reactions: King_V