Question Just got my first AIO... front mount push/pull?

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hello all, I have just bought my first AIO. I used to have an air cooler but it wasn’t great and looked really bad and clunky. My CPU is only an i5 7500 so I went wit a more budget AIO. I bought the cooler master master liquid ML240L (rgb) and am wondering about mounting the fans. My case, (cooler master master box lite 3.1) only allows front 240mm AIO mounting, so I am wondering about the whole push/pull fan configuration and which to choose. Thank you!

Okay. Is either of the ways easier to mount to the other?
Push is sorta easier in the way that you only have to install 8 long screws instead of 8 long and 8 short, but pull is sorta easier in that you can install the fans before putting the radiator in so you don't have to awkwardly hold the fans as you install.

Also, is the AIO better to mount to the mobo before putting it in the case?
Mount the radiator first, but be careful not to rub off the pre applied thermal paste on the cpu block (if there is any) as you install.

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Push is sorta easier in the way that you only have to install 8 long screws instead of 8 long and 8 short, but pull is sorta easier in that you can install the fans before putting the radiator in so you don't have to awkwardly hold the fans as you install.

Mount the radiator first, but be careful not to rub off the pre applied thermal paste on the cpu block (if there is any) as you install.
Okay, so mount the AIO to my CPU first? Or mount the radiator to my case first?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on what's easier and how the fans mount to the case.

Some fans are surface mount, they go on the outside of the frame, under the front cover, some fans go inside the frame.

For cleaning, pull is definitely easier, there's no fans in the way, just blow/suck out the rad. With push, it's better to remove the fans to prevent accidental blade breakage or bearing wear.

That said, you have rgb fans, they will bleed color inside if the fans are mounted pull, but that won't be as strong as fans mounted push. My case has a large window but a solid door, so push would negate any color issues, but pull I'd still get to see it, if only a little.

So there's a lot of decisions that only you can make, there's no right or wrong, only what works better for you personally.

Reactions: extreme_noob