Just griping about Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Before I even start I am NOT asking for help on cracking any passwords.

So, my son is away on an extended vacation with the five bar. He could be in as little as a month but likely a lot closer to ~500 days as he REALLY pissed off the judge.
Anywho, he gave us all the appropriate passwords and such for his email and various accounts to get some things paid, paid off, closed, etc.
The one thing he did not give us was the four digit code to get in his phone, and has two factor authentication turned on.

So, I just had to pay off and close out his sub account that I foolishly allowed. Super short overview is that he went and added a bunch of new Apple devices to our plan, without my permission. He had a buddy at the Verizon store help make it happen. Totally illegal, but the required proof and such is one thing...Verizon themselves won't even let me file a fraud report as they "don't get involved" with family plan issues, according to both an agent, their boss, and now a letter. I just paid right at $2500 for a phone, watch, and pad and to pay the bill and close the sub account. My bad for allowing the possibility.

The devices are all the just at brand new stuff, super good condition, so in order to recoup at least some our our money the intent is to sell the devices for what we can get. They are as above fully paid off and unlocked by Verizon. I have the receipt to prove it, lol.

So, we called Apple to see if they could help with this issue. Our son absolutely refused to give us the 4 digit code to unlock the phone. He has the two stage auth. enabled so I can't even USE the password he provided to turn off locate my device and clear/reset these from the account for sale. The tech with Apple sort of laughed and asked me if I read the news. He says you do realize that we don't even unlock our devices under court order, correct? And that was that.
I am sitting on three expensive and pretty bricks.

Fine though...I also understand he can blacklist them as "stolen" so they cannot be used, when he gets out of course.
I am about to put these in an ammo can, take them into the woods somewhere, and bury them several feet down and forget where they are. Seems a shame that Apple treats situations this way.

/rant

USAFRet

Titan
Being personally and currently involved in a familial identity theft thing...I commiserate.
It SUX.

But, Apple/Verizon is in the right here.
Consider if things were reversed, and he was demanding the 4 digit. On an account he previously had access to, and someone else was maliciously cutting him off from his resources.

Again..I know this SUX.

Reactions: punkncat
Status
Not open for further replies.