Just How Fast is OCZ's New 1 TB SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A one-terabyte solid-state drive? That sounds almost as crazy as the device's boasted speeds--600 MB/sec reads and 500 MB/sec writes. A Belgian Web site was able to get its hands (and benchmarks) on OCZ's monster SSD array, and here's how it stacked up!

Just How Fast is OCZ's New 1 TB SSD? : Read more

wicketr

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I'm excited to see where we'll be in 2 years. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The 'hard drive' has been the bottle neck of a computer for a long time, and we're about to see some amazing things in the coming years because of SSD.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hell yea, that's fast.

Spinning platters HDD will be obsolete soon,it was about the time for platter HDD to say goodbye, I got tired of them, they served well, rest in peace.

[citation][nom]joex444[/nom]I don't believe it. That site didn't even know how to take screenshots, they had pictures of an LCD screen. Fail.[/citation]
That was so that they have validity! It's much easier to Photoshop a screen cap than an actual pic of the screen. And even if the pic of the LCD is edited it can be found with a bit of work.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
The speeds are the impressive part so benchmarks aren't too exciting... can go get 4x Apex or Vertex and a decent card for ~1500$ right now and get similar numbers. The TB is the part to drool over, and I don't think that needs benchmarking ~_~

G

Shadow703793: "It's much easier to Photoshop a screen cap than an actual pic of the screen."

Eehhh.. in that case, why then not photoshop a screen cap and take a picture of it being displayed on the LCD. Duh.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Uhh... How is everyone managing to miss the 1.5$ per gigabyte price? That's a 50% drop. There is zero chance of this not being out in under a year because of that price. With the way prices are falling right now, Christmas of next year, MLC SSDs should be under 1$ per gigabyte. And SATA 3.

I hope they come out with a small (4x32=128gb would be awesome), bootable, PCI-e 16x 2.0 (8 gb/s max transfer), and inexpensive Z-drive.

Although I might wait for the SLC version because it's nothing more than a RAID and 4 drives.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]correct me if im mistaken, 4x 256gb in raid, correct? so its only 256gb, not 1tb....right?[/citation]
It's RAID 0.

RAID 0 just stripes information across multiple drives. RAID 1 mirrors it across all the drives in the setup. RAID 5 has what's called parity, while the capacity of a single drive is taken (so in a 4 drive setup, it will only have the capacity of 3 drives), if a single drive fails in the setup up, it can be quickly replaced, and automatically rebuilt.

So RAID 0 isn't really RAID (which is why the '0' makes sense).

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]wicketr[/nom]I'm excited to see where we'll be in 2 years. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The 'hard drive' has been the bottle neck of a computer for a long time, and we're about to see some amazing things in the coming years because of SSD.[/citation]
Now they need to start working out faster controllers with better connections to the rest of the system. Poor hdd controllers have been stuck in slower southbridge chips which will either need to be made faster or they'll have to bring more functionality to the northbridge

G

Amazing: reading at over a 1Gb a second! true HD is near. welcome to the 1 meter monitor

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]That was so that they have validity! It's much easier to Photoshop a screen cap than an actual pic of the screen. And even if the pic of the LCD is edited it can be found with a bit of work.[/citation]
Lol, and how hard would it be to take a screen cap, edit it, display it, then take a picture of the LCD? You don't have to mess with the image of the LCD.

G

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]That was so that they have validity! It's much easier to Photoshop a screen cap than an actual pic of the screen. And even if the pic of the LCD is edited it can be found with a bit of work.[/citation]
Think about this for a second and how ridiculous this sounds--whats to stop someone from forging a screenshot, displaying it on their LCD, and then taking a picture of it for validity? Nothing. Just sayin'.

Wake me up when a 256GB SSD is in the sub $150 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.