[SOLVED] Just installed new GPU, PSU and now pc shuts off randomly.

risetodefeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
I just installed a new GTX 2070 Super and my old PSU wouldn't work with it for some reason so i bought a new one a Corsair CX 750M and it went well it works fine but whenever i game about 2-5 mins it it just shuts off then boots back up again. My temps never get above 58°C so i dont think its something with my temps.

I have a
ASUS Z170-A
I5 6600K

Solution
Reinstall the newest driver for that card. If it doesn't work, try your GPU to another computer if it's alive. If the same problem persist on the other computer then your GPU might be having a problem or dead.

If it worked there might me some problem with your power supply. It might be unstable or failing. GPU is a power hungry hardware. It's the first hardware to show signs and symptoms next to the monitor when a PSU is failing.

BUT before resorting with the PSU, don't forget to rule out everything first as it might also be caused by other parts.

Issue you might have:
  • Failing GPU (it doesn't really matter if new)
  • Bought a new PSU which is failing too. (happened to me)
  • Graphics Card driver
  • motherboard or CPU problem...

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Reinstall the newest driver for that card. If it doesn't work, try your GPU to another computer if it's alive. If the same problem persist on the other computer then your GPU might be having a problem or dead.

If it worked there might me some problem with your power supply. It might be unstable or failing. GPU is a power hungry hardware. It's the first hardware to show signs and symptoms next to the monitor when a PSU is failing.

BUT before resorting with the PSU, don't forget to rule out everything first as it might also be caused by other parts.

Issue you might have:
  • Graphics Card driver
  • motherboard or CPU problem.
Few test you can do:
  • test your GPU to another computer
  • test your PSU to another computer
  • clean install your graphics card driver
  • check if something's wrong with your whole PC specially the mobo and procy part.
Since you have parts ready, your friend's PC or a stock PC might be a great help. Just a little bit warning about the PSU testing, make sure to isolate it from your system before clip testing or it will fry everything connected to it.

Solution

risetodefeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

Issue you might have:
  • Graphics Card driver
  • motherboard or CPU problem.
Few test you can do:
  • test your GPU to another computer
  • test your PSU to another computer
  • clean install your graphics card driver
  • check if something's wrong with your whole PC specially the mobo and procy part.
Since you have parts ready, your friend's PC or a stock PC might be a great help. Just a little bit warning about the PSU testing, make sure to isolate it from your system before clip testing or it will fry everything connected to it.
I just bought a new motherboard so i can try it out on that when it gets here.

My PSU only has 2 ports for PCIE and my cables have 2 connectors each, so im using a seconded cord now.
I was looking at the wrong picture when I asked that :p If the PSU is still within the warranty period, I would try to get a replacement. It should work fine, but your CX750M may not be efficient enough to run more than 2x6 pins or 1x8 pins PCIE rails or it's defective. You might need to get an 650-750watt PSU that is 80+ Gold certified.

risetodefeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
I was looking at the wrong picture when I asked that :p If the PSU is still within the warranty period, I would try to get a replacement. It should work fine, but your CX750M may not be efficient enough to run more than 2x6 pins or 1x8 pins PCIE rails or it's defective. You might need to get an 650-750watt PSU that is 80+ Gold certified.
That seemed to have worked! I just replaced it for a EVGA 850 GQ gold+ certified and now i haven't crashed yet, Thank you!!

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
That seemed to have worked! I just replaced it for a EVGA 850 GQ gold+ certified and now i haven't crashed yet, Thank you!!
Well you could have saved time and money if you did what I said. Anyways, like I posted, a graphics card is a power hungry hardware. Most of the time it's the first hardware that will show symptoms if your PSU is failing or defective. Usually coupled with a glitching / waving / static lines showing on monitor.

Even tech savvy guys gets confused by this as the symptoms it shows are pretty similar to other hardware problems symptoms..

Symptoms:
  • electric shock from everywhere including the main case and monitor, etc.
  • household lights dims when you turn on the PSU or computer.
  • unusual spark when plugged in to outlet
  • tripping household electricity
  • static / wavy lines on monitor
  • persistent computer problems like HDD corruption, BSODs, Autorestart, No boot (long term persistent problems even when you're able to fix it)
  • unusual fan and light behaviour (too strong, too weak, unusual light blinks)

Last edited: