Question Just looking for opinions

Tschrom

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Alright, so I'm currently rocking a Gigabyte RTX 3070 in my PC. Unfortunately it was the only one I could get my hands on at the time of purchase. I paid 799 for it, and it's already showing signs of age. (Louder fans, hotter even after cleaning, odd glitches now and again.) So, would it be worth it to me to upgrade to a 12GB 3080?
Here's the kicker, I play on a 4k monitor and most games I play on my 3070 I either have to drop to 1440p, or cut the internal render resolution to get above 60 FPS. Which makes it even more enticing to upgrade to something that can play 4k without sacrifice.

So, is it worth the upgrade to a 3080 12GB model? The price on the 3080 is also 799, same I paid for the 3070 when I got it. Should I maybe spend the extra to get a 3080 Ti or 3090 if I can afford it? Especially now that prices are dropping so near MSRP. Should I just stick with the prematurely aging 3070 until they release the 4000 series?

I'd like some opinions please.

Thanks for any advice.

If youre facing uncommon issues (lets be honest, your 3070 is not old), I would suggest an RMA and hold out for a newer generation if you want greater performance.
While prices are indeed coming down, thats not going to be a major upgrade.

Odd glitches/artifacting is not normal with that new of a card.
I was running an R9 290 for about 8 years (up until last week). I cleaned the fans once a year and it still ran identically to when it was new (until it started crashing, that is)

Jul 12, 2022
So, for the 3070, I would recommend some new thermal paste. And, if you want to just upgrade for that 4K res at 60 FPS, wait for the RTX 40 series to release. Now, if ypu just want to escape that heat, absolutely go with the 3080. The 40 series might even be overkill, and will take about another month or two before release.