[SOLVED] Just transported my PC and now stuck in automatic repair loop

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So I packed up my PC for my move yesterday and now it wont boot into windows. I get the automatic repair loop in windows 10. Windows is installed on 1 of 3 drives, a relatively new m.2. I just tried re-seating the drive, checked all the cables connected to the PSU and the mobo- same issue. I've tried startup repair however it just says diagnosing your PC then it restarts back to the same blue recovery screen. Next, I tried System restore and that wouldn't even load, it would say 'to use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restart' however I only have one version of windows installed so not sure about that. I found a 'fix' to access my most recent automatically saved restore point of 2 days ago but it ran through the restore and came back with an error message. (Note-i've ran windows restore successfully on this pc in the past.) I've followed numerous tutorials on YT for using cmd prompt to 'fix the automatic repair loop' such as chkdsk commands, regback, bootfix etc. None work. I really don't want to have to format because I was unable to backup everything one last time. What are my options?

Last edited:
So I packed up my PC for my move yesterday and now it wont boot into windows. I get the automatic repair loop in windows 10. Windows is installed on 1 of 3 drives, a relatively new m.2. I just tried re-seating the drive, checked all the cables connected to the PSU and the mobo- same issue. I've tried startup repair however it just says diagnosing your PC then it restarts back to the same blue recovery screen. Next, I tried System restore and that wouldn't even load, it would say 'to use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restart' however I only have one version of windows installed so not sure about that. I found a 'fix' to access my most recent automatically saved restore point of 2 days ago but it ran through the restore and came back with an error message. (Note-i've ran windows restore successfully on this pc in the past.) I've followed numerous tutorials on YT for using cmd prompt to 'fix the automatic repair loop' such as chkdsk commands, regback, bootfix etc. None work. I really don't want to have to format because I was unable to backup everything one last time. What are my options?
You can download magic partition and cloan your drive to a external and back everything up that way however note you will need a second device to make a bootable magic partion usb

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
You can download magic partition and cloan your drive to a external and back everything up that way however note you will need a second device to make a bootable magic partion usb
How do I use the program if I can't access Windows? Do you mean boot into safe mode? How do I do that if I'm stuck at the repair loop?

Does that program require internet connection or does it just make a local disc image of your ssd?

Also once the image is made how do I use it? Do I use the restore from system image option in the automatic repair screen?

Last edited:

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Try using notepad to back up your data. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6?auth=1

If you have not already done so, here are some ideas on how to possibly get your https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10

Which option do you recommend? There's so much out on the web about this. What about installing windows on a different drive on the PC and copying files over to the new install? Which one is easier?

Using the notepad option does not require you wait for a m.2 external drive enclosure or to access the drive through a USB port (neither of which are bad, it's just easier); saying that, if you use an m.2 drive, having an m.2 external drive is still a good idea.

You should also advise your PC specs, including the make and model of you m.2 drive.

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Using the notepad option does not require you wait for a m.2 external drive enclosure or to access the drive through a USB port (neither of which are bad, it's just easier); saying that, if you use an m.2 drive, having an m.2 external drive is still a good idea.

You should also advise your PC specs, including the make and model of you m.2 drive.

i7 6700k
msi gaming m5 z170a mobo
gtx 1070
windows is installed on adata xpg sx8200 pro
16g ram 3200

Make and model of you m.2 drive? Try unplugging your PC and hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, then plug in your PC and try to boot. Also, I would go back into your PC case and remove and reinstall every plug and piece of hardware, including the memory sticks.

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Make and model of you m.2 drive? Try unplugging your PC and hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, then plug in your PC and try to boot. Also, I would go back into your PC case and remove and reinstall every wire, plug and hardware, including the memory sticks.
Sorry the make and model is listed above. Windows is installed on the m.2

Note, I did just reset the cmos battery manually and I am still at the automatic repair loop. I will try your steps though.

Also, someone mentioned that if I clone my current windows drive with magic partition or whatever, I would just be cloning the same issue I am having. True or false?
Your cloaning your drive so you can reset you pc once your pc is reset you can go through the cloanwd files and recober what tou want from them off the previous sysyem... No your not boot into safe mode you are booting from a usb that has it's own "os" basically on it with hdd recovery options

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Yes, any EFI bootloader configuration.

I tried what seems like every YT tutorial and the strangest thing worked. Tried all the options to repair my recovery partitions and all that failed. System restore wouldn't even Load unless I entered a specific command in cmd promp. Anyway, the first restore point from a few days ago didn't work last night. Tried it again today and it didn't work. I tried the 2nd restore point (from the 21st) and for whatever reason, THAT WORKED! Windows finally loaded. It's running a little glitchy but at least I have my files!

Do you recommend any diagnostic tests I should be running? FYI, I did end up reseating a bunch of components such as the cmos battery, GPU, memory, and a few other cables.

Also, whenever I restart, I have to smash F11 to choose my m.2 drive with windows on it and if I don't it actually brings up windows restore from before. Does that mean something is still not fully functional?