K-Mart Leaks PS3 Slim Release: August 24, $299

Status
Not open for further replies.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]doped[/nom]uhh.. hopefully the normal ps3 will get a fair pricecut.. could be the time to get me one of those machines..[/citation]

Probably not, hence they are releasing a cut-down version at a lower price point. So.. whats the problem? they would be giving the public what they want, a cheaper console.

G

My only question will be what are they chopping out to cut prices.

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]thisbymaster[/nom]My only question will be what are they chopping out to cut prices.[/citation]The various manufacturing size improvements going from the original 90nm to 32nm now has cut the manufacturing cost by as much as 70% since launch ... that is how they cut price. Moreover, smaller boxes mean lower shipping costs. But if you look at this news, 399$ for the 160GB version then yes, you can wonder if the new slim version won't be just some "XBox 360 Arcade" version of the PS3.

G

I'd still pass it up for a 360, higher def games(PS3 is mostly 720p), larger selection of games too, netflix, better multi-player network, better warranty... that and the fact that more and more companies quit on the system every day because of its architecture. liked the ps1 loved the ps2, avoided the ps3 just like i avoided the original xbox, until i found out you could mod it into a linux box :)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i called the slim rumor back when it was first announced... and than they denied it. theyre terrible at keeping secrets

i also called the price cut. but i kind of want them to keep their prices up so activision stops support, boy i hate activision

G

No...what they are giving us is sh*t in a silver can. It's outdated hardware at a price it should had been back in 2006. After 3 years on the market the PS2 was not still at $300. That was the launch price which I gladly purchased the very first day it came out. I still have not bought a PS3 and I don't think I ever will. I choose not to be a mindless follower and buy into the ignorant smoke and mirror act Sony has been playing for way too long. I would rather take that $300 and go buy a couple of video cards for the gaming rig.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]forensics_guy[/nom]I'd still pass it up for a 360, higher def games(PS3 is mostly 720p), larger selection of games too, netflix, better multi-player network, better warranty... that and the fact that more and more companies quit on the system every day because of its architecture. liked the ps1 loved the ps2, avoided the ps3 just like i avoided the original xbox, until i found out you could mod it into a linux box[/citation]

no console so far has played at >720p. almost all games are internally rendered at 600p or something like that and then scaled up to whatever resolution your TV is.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]chuckdalton[/nom]Will there be a chubby version for plus size guy like me?[/citation]
Enough of your comedian act! LOL - Seriously though, I am gonna piss my pants.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
OK, so the price is now $299, that's 1 mark off my checklist towards purchase.

Now:
1) where's my emotion chip/PS2 backward compatabiltiy engine?
2) will it ship with HDMI by default instead of progressive cables, finally?
3) Wireless N anyone?

Also, with the slim coming out for $299, why is everyone advertising the non-slim for the same price? I'd think it would suddenly be LOWER in price than the new unit that is smaller, uses less power, and comes with a more advanced processor... What has Sony cut from it (again) to make it the same value at thhe previos ond-n-busted PS3?

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt_B[/nom]Finally at the price point it should have been at to compete at launch......three years ago.[/citation]

Agreed, now if another $100 would fall off I might actually buy one... Unless I decide I want a blu-ray player out of the... blue!

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I think $299 is a fair price, buuuuttt the 360 has pretty much better everything, especially when it comes to online multiplayer. I also have a gaming pc and all the games that i'd want to play on the 360 i already have for my pc. So maybe a ps3 with a blu-ray player and some good jrpg's might be what I need. i dont know....

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Since im in no need of a BR player still its expensive to get another console if you are an owner of a 360. IF i needed it for also a BR player I'd thikn about it but now paying 300$ for an Uncharted or an exclusive every 6 months and IF it's worth when MS already has shitloads of exclusives of its own... and better crossplatform version it's too late for Sony to tempt me at this point of this generation unless they do much more than just this :/

Like i said before Im a consumer and a gamer means I must have some serious reasons to pay them that much for a console. If I had a Wii i'd think about a PS3 but thanks but no thanks.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]2) will it ship with HDMI by default instead of progressive cables, finally?[/citation]Mine did that I ought 6 months ago. Time for you to get an update

[citation][nom]leafblower29[/nom]I might actually get one. But will the slim have heat issues?[/citation]

Since it's creation they have likely made the chip (CPU) smaller and cooler so it is very unlikely that this one will get as hot as the original. The smaller cooler chips also cost less to make explaining the lower price as well. You can see this at both AMD and Intel.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Alright. Now I can go get a PS3 even cheaper off of craigslist when all the Sony fanboys try to ditch their "big" PS3's in favor of the new slim one.

Status
Not open for further replies.