[SOLVED] K vs non-K i7 - Undervolting - same TDP?

Apr 16, 2022
I know it's a weird question compared to what is normally asked about, but what I'm trying to determine is...

#1 Can I take a K version of an Intel cpu and UNDER-clock it to the same as the non-K version cpu?
#2 Will the TDP of the K version cpu then essentially be the same as the non-K version?

Why you ask?
I don't care about the higher speeds as much as I care about the lower TDP, but I can currently purchase a K-version cheaper. But if I
got the K version, I would want to have it run so that it's power levels are basically the same as the non-K version.

Solution
Can I take a K version of an Intel cpu and UNDER-clock it
There is no need to underclock it. Just use ThrottleStop and set the two turbo power limits to whatever value you like. Here is how to convert a 125W TDP 10850K into a 65W CPU.

aGFELYh.png

If you have a desktop motherboard you might be able to change the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits in the BIOS. I prefer using ThrottleStop because it gives you access to the Clamp options in the power limit register to truly clamp power consumption to 65W.

The power limits are infinitely adjustable. Reducing the power limits allows the CPU to run as fast as possible without ever exceeding 65W. That is what you want. A fast, low power CPU.

The K series...
Can I take a K version of an Intel cpu and UNDER-clock it
There is no need to underclock it. Just use ThrottleStop and set the two turbo power limits to whatever value you like. Here is how to convert a 125W TDP 10850K into a 65W CPU.

aGFELYh.png

If you have a desktop motherboard you might be able to change the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits in the BIOS. I prefer using ThrottleStop because it gives you access to the Clamp options in the power limit register to truly clamp power consumption to 65W.

The power limits are infinitely adjustable. Reducing the power limits allows the CPU to run as fast as possible without ever exceeding 65W. That is what you want. A fast, low power CPU.

The K series CPUs tend to be of a higher quality and can usually run the same speed or faster compared to a non K at the same power level. If you can find a K CPU cheaper, that is a win win.

Reactions: KyaraM
Solution

KyaraM

Admirable
Just undervolt the processor, especially if what you aim for is gaming. My undervolted 12700k runs at around 40-60W in games, which is within the 65W PL1 of the 12700, but with more power. It also hits 165W tops. You can also use the BIOS or XTU for both undervolting and PL adjustments.