K8T Neo2-F help with memory please

I have been searching for solutions for my memory problem with my MSI K8T
Neo2-F motherboard on various online forums. It seems like several people
are having similar memory issues with this board but I have not found a
solution. I have 2 Kingston Value RAM 512MB PC3200 chips. The only way I can
keep my system from shutting down and running smoothly is to use only one of
the memory chips, either one. Whenever I use 2 chips regardless of which
dimm slot combination I use, my system runs unstable if it boots at all. I
have tried all of the slot combinations for both single and dual channel
that MSI says can be used. I purchased all of the components for this system
new a week ago. The components also include an AMD 64 3000 CPU, ATI 9800
A-I-W Pro video card and 350w Antec power supply. The only items not new are
the drives and the mid-tower case. I have flashed to the latest BIOS, 3.20.
I very much appreciate suggestions from anyone. Thanks

Eddie

In article <FKSdnZw8c4ZPujLcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>, ehicks@comcast.net
says...
> I have been searching for solutions for my memory problem with my MSI K8T
> Neo2-F motherboard on various online forums. It seems like several people
> are having similar memory issues with this board but I have not found a
> solution. I have 2 Kingston Value RAM 512MB PC3200 chips. The only way I can
> keep my system from shutting down and running smoothly is to use only one of
> the memory chips, either one. Whenever I use 2 chips regardless of which
> dimm slot combination I use, my system runs unstable if it boots at all. I
> have tried all of the slot combinations for both single and dual channel
> that MSI says can be used. I purchased all of the components for this system
> new a week ago. The components also include an AMD 64 3000 CPU, ATI 9800
> A-I-W Pro video card and 350w Antec power supply. The only items not new are
> the drives and the mid-tower case. I have flashed to the latest BIOS, 3.20.
> I very much appreciate suggestions from anyone. Thanks
>

> Eddie

I use the same RAM as you exactly (both sticks, 1 gig) on my K8T NEO
FIS2R and have had absolutely no problem. I am using the stock bios
mind you, with an Enermax 470 watt PS and an ATI x800 pro. I don't know
if the power supply could make a difference but thought I'd throw this
in there for you.

"DeRanger" <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <FKSdnZw8c4ZPujLcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>, ehicks@comcast.net
> says...
>> I have been searching for solutions for my memory problem with my MSI K8T
>> Neo2-F motherboard on various online forums. It seems like several people
>> are having similar memory issues with this board but I have not found a
>> solution. I have 2 Kingston Value RAM 512MB PC3200 chips. The only way I
>> can
>> keep my system from shutting down and running smoothly is to use only one
>> of
>> the memory chips, either one. Whenever I use 2 chips regardless of which
>> dimm slot combination I use, my system runs unstable if it boots at all.
>> have tried all of the slot combinations for both single and dual channel
>> that MSI says can be used. I purchased all of the components for this
>> system
>> new a week ago. The components also include an AMD 64 3000 CPU, ATI 9800
>> A-I-W Pro video card and 350w Antec power supply. The only items not new
>> are
>> the drives and the mid-tower case. I have flashed to the latest BIOS,
>> 3.20.
>> I very much appreciate suggestions from anyone. Thanks
>>

>> Eddie
>>

> I use the same RAM as you exactly (both sticks, 1 gig) on my K8T NEO
> FIS2R and have had absolutely no problem. I am using the stock bios
> mind you, with an Enermax 470 watt PS and an ATI x800 pro. I don't know
> if the power supply could make a difference but thought I'd throw this
> in there for you.

Thank you very much. Are your RAM chips single or double sided? I hear that
could make a difference. I wondered if the power supply was adequate when I
started having problems but I was told that 350w should be enough. The only
reason I upgraded the power is because I like my old case but the power
didn't have the 4 wired connection for the CPU. I'll appreciate if anyone
else concur that the power supply may be the problem.

Eddie

Eddie

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I had a 350W in my old box but I read in several places that 400W+ is best.
But it really depends on how many other devices you have. Concerning the
RAM, is it possible that the two sticks are in fact not the same? This is a
shot in the dark but you never know. In the bios setup, look for CAS
Latency. Try setting it to auto if it isn't already. If it already is set
to auto, take it out of the auto setting, try one stick at a time as you
have been and try different settings for the CAS Latency. First set it at
the Kingston spec. It will be 2 or 3 or 2.5. Find the setting that works
with that stick. Now replace it with the other stick and see if it fails.

Pete

"Pete" <archer1157@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I had a 350W in my old box but I read in several places that 400W+ is best.
>But it really depends on how many other devices you have. Concerning the
>RAM, is it possible that the two sticks are in fact not the same? This is
>a shot in the dark but you never know. In the bios setup, look for CAS
>Latency. Try setting it to auto if it isn't already. If it already is set
>to auto, take it out of the auto setting, try one stick at a time as you
>have been and try different settings for the CAS Latency. First set it at
>the Kingston spec. It will be 2 or 3 or 2.5. Find the setting that works
>with that stick. Now replace it with the other stick and see if it fails.
>
> Pete

Thank you very much for your advice Pete. I replaced the RAM with a matching
pair that came boxed together. They are Centon Gemini Dual Channel RAM. So
far so good. They are running at DDR400. The Kingston RAM were the same
version but were boxed separately. I guess maybe there are differences even
when they are packaged as the same.

Eddie

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Good to hear that Eddie. I would return those two Kingston sticks and try
to get a refund. They obviously are not the same. Did you take a look at
the part numbers on the modules? DDR400 is PC3200 and if I'm not mistaken,
you can't use more than one 1G DDR400 stick in this board. Two 512s yes.
It states in the manual that for optimum performance with 2 sticks, use the
DIMM 1 and DIMM2 slots. Your board is the MS6702, no?

> Good to hear that Eddie. I would return those two Kingston sticks and try
> to get a refund. They obviously are not the same. Did you take a look at
> the part numbers on the modules? DDR400 is PC3200 and if I'm not
> mistaken, you can't use more than one 1G DDR400 stick in this board. Two
> 512s yes. It states in the manual that for optimum performance with 2
> sticks, use the DIMM 1 and DIMM2 slots. Your board is the MS6702, no?

Pete my board is the 6702E-020. In order to get dual channel you have to
have one stick in a green bank and one in a purple. Either slots one & three
or slots two and four. I purchased the Kingston RAM from Circuit City and I
already returned them. Circuit City has that no hassle return policy. After
I purchased the Centon RAM from COMPUSA I did a Goggle search to see what I
could find out about them. Seems like Centon is near the bottom of the line
in performance and many people have problems with it in more powerful
systems. This system I just built is going to last me a very long time so I
don't want to settle on bottom line components. So I'll probably replace the
Centon RAM also. But this time I'm going to check into the quality and
compatibility of the next RAM chips ahead of time. Thanks again.

Eddie

I have a different problem with my K8T NEO2: it boots, but doesn't
detect all the memory on any single given stick. I tried a 256M PC266
Kingston ValueRam, and it detects 64M; with a 512M PC333, it detects
256M, and all of this is with the "safe" 200 DDR setting and maximum
wait states on the memory. When I run a standalone memory test, it
tells me that address 0x20000 is bad but only with bit pattern
0x00000000. Win2K can boot, but dies (no blue screen, system just
resets) within a few minutes; memory test can run for hours without
crashing. CPU temp never exceeds about 40C.

By the way, how do I determine the BIOS version? The MSI web site says
it appears on one of the boot screens, but I have yet to ever see it.
Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm
Antec 350W PS
ATI Radeon 128
Seagate 160G ATA/133

Oh, these are double-sided sticks, and I've tried them in the first two
slots (the green ones). They don't work when installed together (well,
I can accept that, since they're both double sided and different
speeds).

> Pete my board is the 6702E-020. In order to get dual channel you have
> to have one stick in a green bank and one in a purple. Either slots
> one & three or slots two and four. I purchased the Kingston RAM from
> Circuit City and I already returned them. Circuit City has that no
> hassle return policy. After I purchased the Centon RAM from COMPUSA I
> did a Goggle search to see what I could find out about them. Seems
> like Centon is near the bottom of the line in performance and many
> people have problems with it in more powerful systems. This system I
> just built is going to last me a very long time so I don't want to
> settle on bottom line components. So I'll probably replace the Centon
> RAM also. But this time I'm going to check into the quality and
> compatibility of the next RAM chips ahead of time. Thanks again.

You might want to consider PDP (sold under the brand name Patriot) RAM,
if price is a concern. It seems to get good feedback from users. I
probably would have bought more expensive big name RAM if price weren't
an issue. I was on a budget, though, and decided to take a chance on
their mid range PC3200 (I paid $183 for two 512MB sticks from newegg) and
I'm very glad I did.

Google: PDC1G3200LLK

I see Outpost has it for $159 now.

"Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message
> "Eddie E" <ehicks@comcast.net> wrote in

..

> You might want to consider PDP (sold under the brand name Patriot) RAM,
> if price is a concern. It seems to get good feedback from users. I
> probably would have bought more expensive big name RAM if price weren't
> an issue. I was on a budget, though, and decided to take a chance on
> their mid range PC3200 (I paid $183 for two 512MB sticks from newegg) and
> I'm very glad I did.
>
> Google: PDC1G3200LLK
>
> I see Outpost has it for $159 now.

Thanks but it's too late Mitch. I already bought PQI DUAL 1GB(2X512) DDR
PC3200. PQI is rated above many big name manufacturers at more reasonable
prices. I'm running my system at DDR400 CAS 2-2-2-5 with no problems. I also
ordered from Newegg.

Eddie

I just bought this board and although I have 512 Meg of memory in it ,
Windows reports only 256 , how come?

> "Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message
>> "Eddie E" <ehicks@comcast.net> wrote in
>>
> .
>>
>> You might want to consider PDP (sold under the brand name Patriot) RAM,
>> if price is a concern. It seems to get good feedback from users. I
>> probably would have bought more expensive big name RAM if price weren't
>> an issue. I was on a budget, though, and decided to take a chance on
>> their mid range PC3200 (I paid $183 for two 512MB sticks from newegg) and
>> I'm very glad I did.
>>
>> Google: PDC1G3200LLK
>>
>> I see Outpost has it for $159 now.
>
> Thanks but it's too late Mitch. I already bought PQI DUAL 1GB(2X512) DDR
> PC3200. PQI is rated above many big name manufacturers at more reasonable
> prices. I'm running my system at DDR400 CAS 2-2-2-5 with no problems. I
> also ordered from Newegg.
>
> Eddie

I just flashed my bios and problem is solved , 512 megs are now showing!