K8V deluxe - missing SATA driverdisk ??

My PATA hd gave up, so I must reinstall WindowsXP on my SATA drive. This
SATA-drive has been running as a "data-hd" for some time, but now it has to
be primary drive.
It is connected to VIA southbridge SATA 1. When installing WindowsXP I
assume I will have to press F6 and insert a driverdisk with VIA SATA driver
on, but where do I find this driverdisk? The SATA drive shall not run RAID,
just a single hd running normal. On ASUS' web-side I can find driverdisk for
the promise controller (both single and RAID), but not for the VIA
southbridge SATA. Can somebody point me in the correct direction?

--

Mvh
Sven

Paul

Splendid

In article <c9tjcu$30j1$1@news.cybercity.dk>, "Sven"
<chanelle4_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My PATA hd gave up, so I must reinstall WindowsXP on my SATA drive. This
> SATA-drive has been running as a "data-hd" for some time, but now it has to
> be primary drive.
> It is connected to VIA southbridge SATA 1. When installing WindowsXP I
> assume I will have to press F6 and insert a driverdisk with VIA SATA driver
> on, but where do I find this driverdisk? The SATA drive shall not run RAID,
> just a single hd running normal. On ASUS' web-side I can find driverdisk for
> the promise controller (both single and RAID), but not for the VIA
> southbridge SATA. Can somebody point me in the correct direction?

Have you had a look at the manual ?

As near as I can tell, the 8237 SATA is RAID. Press <tab> during
POST to enter the RAID BIOS for 8237. With one SATA drive connected
to the 8237, try selecting "Auto Setup" and the interface should
make a single drive array for you. Do the F6 thing during the
install of the OS, and install the RAID driver.

(Background info on 8237, seems more ambitious than the actual
implementation on your board.)
http://www.via.com.tw/en/southbridge/vt8237.pdf

On the Promise, you have a couple of options. Connect your one
drive. The Promise can be operated in RAID or in vanilla IDE
mode. If you set the operating mode to RAID, then press
<control F> during POST, to enter the Promise RAID BIOS
interface. Select "Auto Setup". During the install of
the OS, press F6 and use the Promise RAID driver.

If you set the Promise in the BIOS to IDE operate mode, then
disk drives should all be supported singly. No RAID BIOS should
load while the computer POSTs. While installing the OS, find a
driver called ATA or IDE for the Promise, and press F6 to install
that driver.

In all the cases above, I believe the interface to the hardware
looks like SCSI emulation, and when selecting a boot device or
programming the boot order, expect to see something with "SCSI"
or "RAID" in the name, in your boot order. Same goes for the
entries in Device Manager.

Between all the interfaces on your board, _one_ of them is
bound to do what you want :)

Just some guesses,
Paul

Sven wrote:
> My PATA hd gave up, so I must reinstall WindowsXP on my SATA drive. This
> SATA-drive has been running as a "data-hd" for some time, but now it has to
> be primary drive.
> It is connected to VIA southbridge SATA 1. When installing WindowsXP I
> assume I will have to press F6 and insert a driverdisk with VIA SATA driver
> on, but where do I find this driverdisk? The SATA drive shall not run RAID,
> just a single hd running normal. On ASUS' web-side I can find driverdisk for
> the promise controller (both single and RAID), but not for the VIA
> southbridge SATA. Can somebody point me in the correct direction?

Are you sure that you need a driver disk? IMHO it is sufficient to
check/adapt the BIOS values (SATA-drive as 1st boot drive etc.) - so
it works on both my Asus P4P800 and Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000G.

Roy

Sven, your right your more than likely going to need the driver to load XP on
to your drive.
Go here for the drivers you need.
www.viaarena.com/?PageID=310

When you connect to the VIA port make sure you select it in your bios as your
boot. Have those drivers on a floppy and put it in and hit F6 when needed. Very
simple process.

Arie

Roy Coorne kom til at skrive:

> Sven wrote:
>> My PATA hd gave up, so I must reinstall WindowsXP on my SATA drive.
>> This SATA-drive has been running as a "data-hd" for some time, but
>> now it has to be primary drive.
>> It is connected to VIA southbridge SATA 1. When installing WindowsXP
>> I assume I will have to press F6 and insert a driverdisk with VIA
>> SATA driver on, but where do I find this driverdisk? The SATA drive
>> shall not run RAID, just a single hd running normal. On ASUS'
>> web-side I can find driverdisk for the promise controller (both
>> single and RAID), but not for the VIA southbridge SATA. Can somebody
>> point me in the correct direction?
>>

> Are you sure that you need a driver disk? IMHO it is sufficient to
> check/adapt the BIOS values (SATA-drive as 1st boot drive etc.) - so
> it works on both my Asus P4P800 and Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000G.
>
> Roy

No, I'm not sure I need a driver disk. I just assumed this would be
nessecery as the SATA is a new controller compared to WinXP, but if my
WIndowsXP behave like yours it is quite easy :)

Thanks m8

--

Mvh
Sven

SPRITE1001 kom til at skrive:

> Sven, your right your more than likely going to need the driver to
> load XP on to your drive.
> Go here for the drivers you need.
> www.viaarena.com/?PageID=310
>
> When you connect to the VIA port make sure you select it in your bios
> as your boot. Have those drivers on a floppy and put it in and hit F6
> when needed. Very simple process.
>
> Arie

Thanks for the link! This driverkit includes a driverset for a floppy disk
to use when install OS.

--

Mvh
Sven

> In article <c9tjcu$30j1$1@news.cybercity.dk>, "Sven"
> <chanelle4_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My PATA hd gave up, so I must reinstall WindowsXP on my SATA drive.
>> This SATA-drive has been running as a "data-hd" for some time, but
>> now it has to be primary drive.
>> It is connected to VIA southbridge SATA 1. When installing WindowsXP
>> I assume I will have to press F6 and insert a driverdisk with VIA
>> SATA driver on, but where do I find this driverdisk? The SATA drive
>> shall not run RAID, just a single hd running normal. On ASUS'
>> web-side I can find driverdisk for the promise controller (both
>> single and RAID), but not for the VIA southbridge SATA. Can somebody
>> point me in the correct direction?
>
> Have you had a look at the manual ?
>
> As near as I can tell, the 8237 SATA is RAID. Press <tab> during
> POST to enter the RAID BIOS for 8237. With one SATA drive connected
> to the 8237, try selecting "Auto Setup" and the interface should
> make a single drive array for you. Do the F6 thing during the
> install of the OS, and install the RAID driver.

Yes, that sounds right, but I did not know where to find this floppy-driver
to use with F6, but SPRITE1001 showed me the way :)
As I wrote in the first post, the SATA-drive has been connected as second HD
for some time, and I just let WindowsXP install the nessesary drivers from
the ASUS CD, but this is not an option when installing XP from scratch.
--

Mvh
Sven