[SOLVED] Kailh Blue switches...

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Ok keyboard nerds...

I just bought a second hand mechanical keyboard that has Kailh Blue switches. They're nice and clicky but I'm wondering what you all think of them? Are they better after lube and film?? Also, could I switch them out for other switches like banana splits/ MX Browns just for fun, or would I have to get a whole new PCB.

Keyboard is a TT-Esports (thermaltake) Poseidon Z RGB.

ALSO! key-caps, recommendations for some decent key-caps for heavy typing use only.

Thanks!

Solution
One of the better keycap deals out there is the Drop Skylight set https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set but those don't come with the num pad.

Hotswap sockets is really the only way to try out different switches without soldering and taking apart the keyboard. If you do get one, I recommend trying the Gateron Yellow switches, right now they are my favorite ones, feel like a firmer smoother MX Red.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Normal MX switches work, though like most mainstream keyboards, you do have to desolder. Hot swap is still only a few of these big company keyboards. I personally prefer hot swapping!

Kailh Blue is fine, but switches are very personal. I have a clicky number pad only on my workhorse keyboard and put in Kailh Box Jades which I personally find more satisfying. How everyone considers Kailh Blue isn't really important here; what's important is how you feel about them!

As for caps, PBT is the way to go. ABS caps get all shiny and smooth and you lose texture.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Normal MX switches work, though like most mainstream keyboards, you do have to desolder. Hot swap is still only a few of these big company keyboards. I personally prefer hot swapping!

Kailh Blue is fine, but switches are very personal. I have a clicky number pad only on my workhorse keyboard and put in Kailh Box Jades which I personally find more satisfying. How everyone considers Kailh Blue isn't really important here; what's important is how you feel about them!

As for caps, PBT is the way to go. ABS caps get all shiny and smooth and you lose texture.
Thanks for the reply, I just feel like it could be...more? I guess I'm just not use to clicky as I have always opted for linear switches for work. I did the dumb thing of going down a loop hole of different tactile and click switches and now I want to try!

As for key-caps, thanks for the tip... that explains my current caps being glazed in only a few weeks.

One of the better keycap deals out there is the Drop Skylight set https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set but those don't come with the num pad.

Hotswap sockets is really the only way to try out different switches without soldering and taking apart the keyboard. If you do get one, I recommend trying the Gateron Yellow switches, right now they are my favorite ones, feel like a firmer smoother MX Red.

Reactions: ZeroDollarBudget
Solution

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019

Ordered lol! Once I watched some reviews and sound clips, plus the 50g actuation I was sold. Thanks!