KALQ Keyboard Map Could Allow Faster Thumb Typing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_g

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
First was qwerty for typewriters, then came Dvorak to allow faster/ single hand typing on the keyboard. Now Kalq for thumb typing on a tablet. I use swype on my galaxy s2 and it works great for me on touch screens. I think the biggest problem is becoming proficient with the new layout not to mention learning it first. As long qwerty is the de facto standard, it will be hard to switch to anything else without a good reason of doing so.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
It works great if you're writing in english. As tony said, qwerty is still the best because you already know it!

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
QWERTY is not the best (it wasn't for a long time) but it's here to stay only because of the habit
Same with metric system in US or driving on the right in UK or manual transmissions ...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Only a couple years late. "Thumb Keyboard" has been around for iOS and Android for a really long time. In addition to splitting the keyboard when in landscape mode, I like that it adds customizable center buttons as well as cursor buttons (cursor buttons are great!).
But for the most part, with a phone or a 7" tablet, swype is faster for me when I'm not actually holding my tablet.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Most other keyboard layouts would be faster than QWERTY (assuming they become accepted) because QWERTY was designed to slow down typing on the early typewriters.

ZinniA DX

Honorable
May 31, 2013
KALQ That have been broken the trend of QWERTY in iPad, & other phones to minimize the movement of thumbs. The main motive behind the design of KALQ is to save your thumbs stretching across the screen. For more info click the link below:
http://outfresh.com/latest-technology/kalq-new-keyboard-layout/

Status
Not open for further replies.