Kaspersky Lab Recalls its Flashfake Removal Tool for Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
This is only funny because of the comments on the previous article, "Apple is taking their sweet time, while kaspersky already has a tool released".

I wouldnt want to be the dev, who published that kaspersky fix, right now.

That being said, tis the nature of the beast; break/fix

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Wouldn't you think that the actual maker of the OS (may that be Apple, Linux or Windows) would be the perfect authority to create/release fixes for virus infestations?
I mean, who knows the OS better than the folks who made it.

3rd party A/V companies present a clear conflict of interest as they make a living from new infestations while OS makers would benefit from providing a secure and stable OS.

If -in theory- hackers and idiots would stop making malware AV companies would be instantly out of business while OS makers would not be impacted at all; ergo the above mentioned conflict of interest.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I don't know why they're removing honestly, what would you rather have, an infected machine with you user preferences or a clean machine that you have to reset your preferences?

It's better than Apple's interim solution of disabling Java...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]If Steve Jobs were alive, he'd be railing against Java and Oracle now as he had against Flash and Adobe.[/citation]
Apple doesn't use Oracle's JRE, but uses it's own. That is why almost all computers infected with Flashback are Macs.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Apple doesn't use Oracle's JRE, but uses it's own. That is why almost all computers infected with Flashback are Macs.[/citation]

But it was developed by Sun, which was bought by Oracle, and Apple is infallible so... :D

G

Can someone what the is advantage of owning an apple computer again?

G

Can someone tell me what the is advantage of owning an apple computer again?

G

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/12/apple-releases-java-update-to-remove-flashback-malware/

Apple dragged its feet so they wouldn't have to recall a broken removal tool

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]bee144[/nom]It's a trojan not a virus. Educate yourselfs people.[/citation]

That's irrelevant. Malware is malware.

Besides, all I've ever seen in my years as a Windows user was trojans. I've never seen a virus, and I've been using Windows 7 since it came out. Trojans and malware that attempts to gain your personal information is the most common kind right now, regardless of platform.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Wouldn't you think that the actual maker of the OS (may that be Apple, Linux or Windows) would be the perfect authority to create/release fixes for virus infestations?I mean, who knows the OS better than the folks who made it.3rd party A/V companies present a clear conflict of interest as they make a living from new infestations while OS makers would benefit from providing a secure and stable OS.If -in theory- hackers and idiots would stop making malware AV companies would be instantly out of business while OS makers would not be impacted at all; ergo the above mentioned conflict of interest.[/citation]

Many PC malware samples are actually made by some of the antivirus/anti-malware companies. Notice how most viruses originate in Finland and that Finland just happens to be where most of the anti-malware companies are located or at least have a significant presence in.

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]That's irrelevant. Malware is malware.Besides, all I've ever seen in my years as a Windows user was trojans. I've never seen a virus, and I've been using Windows 7 since it came out. Trojans and malware that attempts to gain your personal information is the most common kind right now, regardless of platform.[/citation]

That viruses and trojans aren't the same thing is not irrelevant. Oh and yes, trojans are much more common than viruses these days. I've had some viruses in the past and believe me, they are far worse than trojans. Some viruses could even do physical damage to the computer!

Also, malware that attempts to gain your personal information is generally considered spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.