Question Kaspersky software banned by US

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
article here:

Apparently poses a security risk, as many of us following along have been saying for a while now.

Mar 27, 2024
I was aware of continued information about the suspicion that it was phoning home, but was not aware that the sale or distribution of said had previously been banned by the US. The article is dated yesterday. Strange.

Ban to US federal agencies has dated to 2017. Now banned to provide the crucial services to other US markets as well. If carried through and no workaround, seem likely to be dead security products in the US and other countries that may follow suit. This will also likely convince some more consumers in other countries not to use the products as well.

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Not looking for hate mail, but having tried the other security softwares (including the new Defender) I found that using/testing Kaspersky with Malwarebytes provides the best protection hands down. Please show me where there have been actual cases where Kaspersky failed and/or was used for evil intent...other than Russian paranoid.

Thanks.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Mar 27, 2024
Please show me where there have been actual cases where Kaspersky failed and/or was used for evil intent...other than Russian paranoid.
Don't you think this is an unanswerable question? How would an average / (or even a ) technical person know that their secrets have been lifted by one of the national intelligence agencies via the all-powerful AV software? So it's going to come down to, this company/government says, and this other company/government says.

For some, maybe it's just a question of which political systems are more repugnant than the others. It's good that these products are available in American, European, Russian, Chinese, etc. flavors.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Not looking for hate mail, but having tried the other security softwares (including the new Defender) I found that using/testing Kaspersky with Malwarebytes provides the best protection hands down. Please show me where there have been actual cases where Kaspersky failed and/or was used for evil intent...other than Russian paranoid.

Thanks.
It's been an open secret for almost a decade. Legislation is just catching up to reality.
If you had a good experience, good for you.

Reactions: Cilantro7536

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks.
Feel free to give this a read. Kaspersky obtained (three letter agency) toolkits through its AV software. They claim to have deleted it, but the tools leaked.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/kaspersky-we-inadvertently-downloaded-nsa-hacking-tools

Article also outlines the infection and a method of stealing the tools as well. It’s all up to who you want to believe, I suppose.

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Well...looks like it's time to wipe and redo everything...again. Anyone care to make a recommendation "with citation" to replace it...aside from Defender. Still going to use Malwarebytes Premium.

Sorry mods.

Last edited:

Latest posts