Question Keep crashing to desktop and blue screen

Jan 4, 2020
Hello everybody,

Thanks so much in advance for your time. It's been more than a week that I'm trying to solve this problem, but apparently I still can't figure out what is going wrong.

The problem is: Games keep crashing to desktop without any window error. During this crashes (more than 40 I would say), a couple of times I got the blue screen from windows that restarted my PC. The error on the blue screen was mentioning "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" and error caused by "win32kfull.sys".

I checked the RAM with the windows tool and they are ok. Windows is updated. The drivers are ok, I cleaned the NVIDIA drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. I checked the HD by installing the game on the C and the crash still happening so it's not the HD where my games are installed. I used "3D Mark Demo" and apparently 5 out of 6 tests everything went well (one time crashed, but it's not clear if it was the same problem. I'm by the way continuing now to do some other benchmarks with it to see if it crashes again). By the way, maybe it doesn't have the time to crash, since the crashing are always happening after 15-20 mins of game (except a couple of times after 3 minutes). The temperatures are ok and they're not the reason of the crash.
The only thing that remains to do is maybe to update the bios, but sincerely I don't think that is the BIOS causing all these problems.
I played for more than a year with this setup and everything was fine. I didn't install anything in particular before the problems came (except this and NordVPN) and I made several scan with MWBytes and Avast (which by the way the second one is always active and the first one does a daily scan). I also tried to disable Avast and MW but the problem persist. I did a clean start with MSconfig disabling all non windows app, but the problem is still there.
It seems that light games such Ape Out and Gang Beasts are less likely to crash, but I'm not sure about it (it could be a random thing, but Ape Out, out of 4-5 games and a couple of hours of playing crashed only one time, while all the other games I tried like DMC5, Steep, Dragon Quest, Sekiro, PES, are unplayable because they crash after 15-20 mins). I checked the registry with SFC /SCANNOW on CMD and the files are all there as the system says on CMD.

IMPORTANT: I took a look at the event log on Windows and I got several times, for several days, this error, under warning: "The rules engine reported a failed VL activation attempt". Also I got several Security-SSP notifications there looking for these past days. Are these safe? I usually try to stay safe.

Can you please help me? I'm desperate and I can't really understand what's wrong,

Could it be the PSU or GPU? Is it a Windows error? Because by the Benchmark is not clear.

CPU: Ryzen 2600x six core 3,6 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450 AORUS M
Ram: 16gb DDR4 channel : dual
SSD/HDD: KingSTON SA1000M8240G (OS) + 1 hybrid, and 1 ssd
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1070 GTX
PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W
Chassis: ---

BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc. F1

Thanks again!

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You have a lot of BIOS updates to work through. Make sure you're on the latest(gradually working your way up) and then see if the issue persists.

That PSU should not exist anywhere near that system. You should source/borrow a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system. Also, by crash do you mean closes to desktop or a reboot without warning?

Jan 4, 2020
You have a lot of BIOS updates to work through. Make sure you're on the latest(gradually working your way up) and then see if the issue persists.

That PSU should not exist anywhere near that system. You should source/borrow a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system. Also, by crash do you mean closes to desktop or a reboot without warning?
Thank you for the response!

By crash I mean closes to desktop in this case (in particular here without any error message)

Bios: Should I update the Bios several time going up with the version or just install the last one? Sorry for the stupid question but I didn't understand. Also, iwhat's the best method to upgrade it?

For PSU: Do you mean that is not ok because it's not a reliable brand or because there are not enough W? (I got 730)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
An update:

I tried various games and they all keep crashing to desktop (the only ones not crashing apparently are Ape Out and Gang Beasts that require less power.

I checked the RAM and they are ok. The hard disk is ok because the problems are both on the various hard disks where the game is installed. I checked the register through C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow and it says it's ok. I runned a benchmark through Steam and it worked, so I would say it's neither the PSU or GPU.

I honestly don't know what is happening. Windows is updated and the driver are too (I used DDU to clean and reinstall).

Can someone please help me?

The only thing that comes into my mind to do is to update the BIOS, which I'll do it today.

Jan 4, 2020
stick with 1 thread
Keep crashing to desktop

Hello everybody,

Thanks so much in advance for your time. It's been more than a week that I'm trying to solve this problem, but apparently I still can't figure out what is going wrong.

The problem is: Games keep crashing to desktop without any window error. During this crashes (more than 40 I would say), a couple of times I got the blue screen from windows that restarted my PC. The error on the blue screen was mentioning "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" and error caused by "win32kfull.sys".

I checked the RAM with the windows tool and they are ok. Windows is updated. The drivers are ok, I cleaned the NVIDIA drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. I checked the HD by installing the game on the C and the crash still happening so it's not the HD where my games are installed. I used "3D Mark Demo" and apparently 5 out of 6 tests everything went well (one time crashed, but it's not clear if it was the same problem. I'm by the way continuing now to do some other benchmarks with it to see if it crashes again). By the way, maybe it doesn't have the time to crash, since the crashing are always happening after 15-20 mins of game (except a couple of times after 3 minutes). The temperatures are ok and they're not the reason of the crash.
The only thing that remains to do is maybe to update the bios, but sincerely I don't think that is the BIOS causing all these problems.
I played for more than a year with this setup and everything was fine. I didn't install anything in particular before the problems came (except this and NordVPN) and I made several scan with MWBytes and Avast (which by the way the second one is always active and the first one does a daily scan). I also tried to disable Avast and MW but the problem persist. I did a clean start with MSconfig disabling all non windows app, but the problem is still there.
It seems that light games such Ape Out and Gang Beasts are less likely to crash, but I'm not sure about it (it could be a random thing, but Ape Out, out of 4-5 games and a couple of hours of playing crashed only one time, while all the other games I tried like DMC5, Steep, Dragon Quest, Sekiro, PES, are unplayable because they crash after 15-20 mins). I checked the registry with SFC /SCANNOW on CMD and the files are all there as the system says on CMD.

IMPORTANT: I took a look at the event log on Windows and I got several times, for several days, this error, under warning: "The rules engine reported a failed VL activation attempt". Also I got several Security-SSP notifications there looking for these past days. Are these safe? I usually try to stay safe.

Can you please help me? I'm desperate and I can't really understand what's wrong,

Could it be the PSU or GPU? Is it a Windows error? Because by the Benchmark is not clear.

CPU: Ryzen 2600x six core 3,6 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450 AORUS M
Ram: 16gb DDR4 channel : dual
SSD/HDD: KingSTON SA1000M8240G (OS) + 1 hybrid, and 1 ssd
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1070 GTX
PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
F1 the original bios? they have make fixes since then

Yes, correct

I believe you have identified the memory as "dual".

Yes

As I wrote on the update (which I'll use to edit the first post), I played with this setup for more than one year and everything went very well without any problems, for this reason I'm fearing an hardware problem or more likely some system problem of windows (or related)

Thank you very much for your help, looking forward to solve it