Question Keep getting BSOD (WATCH_DOG_VIOLATION)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/wbmjLs57/show/

Summary of findings:
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1e8285 )
--------------------
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+109228 )
--------------------
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+10a42f )
--------------------
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1c8b81 )
--------------------
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1c8b81 )

Now all of yours are 133 stop errors (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION) but with the following argument 1:
Code:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at IRQL DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be identified with a stack trace.
An Arg1 of 1 can sometimes mean that multiple DPCs could be involved and often might not be so simple to solve.

Code:
07: nt!KiInterruptSubDispatchNoLockNoEtw+0xfa (TrapFrame @ fffff807`59f8a610)
08: nt!KiInterruptDispatchNoLockNoEtw+0x37 (TrapFrame @ fffff807`59f8a7a0)
09: nvlddmkm+0x1e8285
0a: nvlddmkm+0x1ea324

FOLLOWUP_IP: nvlddmkm+1e8285
They're all pointing at NVIDIA drivers, however I could see that you had 3 times where the driver was significantly out of date, then, it was updated but the issue persisted.

However could you please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model? Whilst it wouldn't be great, if you stated you had power issues that caused damage somewhere, there is possibility more damage was caused.

Myntekt

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
I managed to gather older minidumps in case they're useful. Here are all of them.

Let me give you a summary of what I've done:

I currently use a GTX 970 where the crashes started.

It probably also matters that after power failures, to switch the cooler I had to completely disassemble my PC (the CPU cooler cables were stuck between the case and the motherboard). I removed the GPU, the sound card, the cooler, the ram. I removed the motherboard from the case. Then I put everything together again. One of the CPU cooler fans is sticking out a little bit, and when I closed the case it applied too much pressure and the PC wouldn't turn on. I've been running the PC open for all this time. Maybe something got damaged in this whole process?

I have tried my old GTX 560 ti and the crashes also occurred. I've used this PC for 5 days with only the integrated GPU (Intel graphics) and NO CRASHES occurred in that time. Normally I get at least one a day.

I removed the RAM sticks and put them back on just in case.
I now flashed the BIOS update and reset their values to default. The only "overclocking" I had was the RAM XMP which I removed.

I used DDU multiple times to completely uninstall nvidia drivers. With both GPUs. This is why maybe there are multiple crashes with outdated drivers.

I ran a stress test and logged sensor values. Here are the values for the ~15min stress test. I ran furmark and prime 95 on that one.

I logged my system until a crash. Here is a file where I managed to catch it. You need to scroll down until the end where the crash occurred.
Another "symptom" I had was that for a few days (but not anymore) my screen would blink/turn off for a split second before turning back on. I don't recall whether this was on the GTX 970 or the GTX 560 ti.

I noticed that these crashes started happening around the same time the windows volume indicator started lagging when I hold the volume up or down key. If I press it for 1 second the sound doesn't stop increasing until two seconds. This is with the Razer Blackwidow keyboard if it matters.

I updated the SATA drivers on device manager control panel.

I ran (chkdsk /f /r ) and sfc /scannow and no issues were detected.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic twice and no errors were detected.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes as well.

I ran OCCT for one hour and no errors were detected.

Specs:
CPU: I7 3770K
GPU: GTX 970
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
HDD: Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142
RAM: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2, 80+ BRONZE 750W

Last edited: