Question Keep getting limited to 100mbps on ethernet ?

Sep 22, 2021
So let me preface with my current setup.
I currently have AT&T 1G fiber and have an in-wall Ethernet cable going all the way to my room. I then take that and plug it into a AC2200 WiFi Mesh Extender (EX7700). I use this as an Access Point so that I can have strong WiFi in my room, and also have another cable that goes to my computer. This provides ~920mbps to my computer which is standard when you get 1G so it's been working. I have been noticing that some days it limits my internet in the room to 100mbps. This is unusual but I kind of deal with it since I'm not really downloading things and am fine with my 8ms pings. Lately I've been downloading stuff and it gets annoying so I am asking here.

I set my ATT router to 1G Full Duplex and am still getting the issue.
My current plan is to buy a switch that connects to the wall, and have 2 cables for my computer and Access Point.
If anyone can suggest what else I can try I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: All cables are CAT 5e. Wall cable was installed by AT&T and COULD get a tech out here to replace it if needed.

You should be able to see the status on the port change. I think the att router will show the connect speed but they have a couple different models.

You have 2 cable connected to the AP and it could be either. I am pretty sure those 2 ports are a small switch. I would check the status of the ethernet port on your pc and see if it is running at gigabit or at 100m. If it shows gigabit then you need to find a way to check the cable between the ap and the att router. If it does not show in a menu maybe you can tell by the light colors.

Now if you have wall plates and short patch able between the wall and the equipment you have 3 cables that could be a problem.

You could try to plug your pc directly into the cable going to the att router. BUT that might not tell you much. Your pc may just be able to tolerate a out of spec cable more than the AP.

It is not unusual for a bad cable to sometime work and then drop in speed and then go back. It would be nice if they just did not work at all so you could find it.

If the long cable is connected to wall plates that is somewhat easier because you can cut off a small amount of wire and push them back into the connector. You normally need a punch down tool but some jacks are tool less and you can use a small screw driver if you are careful to only push on the wire. If the long cable is a crimp on and you do not have the tool then I don't know what is cheaper. Generally ATT will change you to fix in house cables, maybe cheaper to buy the tool and learn to crimp them.

Then again maybe you get lucky and it is the short cable going from the AP to the computer.

You don't really need a switch unless you need more ethernet ports.

Sep 22, 2021
You should be able to see the status on the port change. I think the att router will show the connect speed but they have a couple different models.

You have 2 cable connected to the AP and it could be either. I am pretty sure those 2 ports are a small switch. I would check the status of the ethernet port on your pc and see if it is running at gigabit or at 100m. If it shows gigabit then you need to find a way to check the cable between the ap and the att router. If it does not show in a menu maybe you can tell by the light colors.

Now if you have wall plates and short patch able between the wall and the equipment you have 3 cables that could be a problem.

You could try to plug your pc directly into the cable going to the att router. BUT that might not tell you much. Your pc may just be able to tolerate a out of spec cable more than the AP.

It is not unusual for a bad cable to sometime work and then drop in speed and then go back. It would be nice if they just did not work at all so you could find it.

If the long cable is connected to wall plates that is somewhat easier because you can cut off a small amount of wire and push them back into the connector. You normally need a punch down tool but some jacks are tool less and you can use a small screw driver if you are careful to only push on the wire. If the long cable is a crimp on and you do not have the tool then I don't know what is cheaper. Generally ATT will change you to fix in house cables, maybe cheaper to buy the tool and learn to crimp them.

Then again maybe you get lucky and it is the short cable going from the AP to the computer.

You don't really need a switch unless you need more ethernet ports.
Okay so checking my network adapter on my computer, it says the link is 1G, and I know that it can't be the cable from the AP to my computer since my phone WiFi also limits itself from around 500mbps to 80mbps. I'm hoping its the cable between my AP and the wall. I'll test it out once I get a hold of another cable. What's weird is that resetting my AP also fixes the issue usually. Would this mean that it could also be my AP itself?

It could be the AP but it is very rare. There is no way to fix it so you hope it is not. Some devices are more sensitive to bad cables than others.

Be very sure you get quality cables there is a massive amount of fake cable being sold. The cable must be cat5e (only buy higher if it cheaper) key is the wire must be pure copper (no cca) and must have wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable). If you can't find this information find a different vendor. Repuitable vendors know about all the fake cables and make it a point to have these specs in their descriptions. This is all related to the price of copper metal, the fake cables are using tricks to use less metal but it then does not meet the standards for a ethernet cable.