Question Keep getting memory beep codes with known good memory

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Hi all, I have a Dell Studio 8100 with the DH57MO1 mother board. I went to upgrade the memory from 4GB (2 Sticks) to 8GB (2 Sticks), but when I installed the new memory, I got 2 short beep codes. These are known good chips. When I went to return it to the original configuration more beep codes. Now the machine won't accept any memory. I replaced the CMOS battery but no help then I took the CMOS battery out for a few days hoping to reset the bios, but still no improvement. What's next? Thanks, Jim

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
  1. Try 1 stock of known ram in each slot.
  2. Then when it beeps press restart once after it fails with every slot and repeat with 1st step.
Usually works for me.
Thanks for your suggestion. However, I'm sorry but I'm confused. In step 1 do I put all four sticks in at once, or one at a time? And, I don't understand step 2 at all. I'm 77 years old and I'm getting so I need things in more details. Thanks, Jim

Oh, Well
Firstly pull all sticks out, take 1 stick of your 2 4GB's module (original one) and try every slot. When you boot lets say 1 slot with 1st stick of ram if it does not work, try pressing restart once, if still does not work, then try other slot and repeat with both sticks and all ram slots.
Just make sure that you push ram stick all the way into slot, sometimes its harder.

Also did you perform the clear cmos by unplugging PSU from wall and removing the cmos battery and then hold power button for 30s?
Usually that is the right way to do clear cmos.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Hi remember the 5th, thanks for spelling it out. That was easier for me to understand. I tried your procedure several times but the symptom remains. My machine doesn't have a restart button, so I used the power button instead. I think that won't make a difference. Where do we go from here? Thanks, Jim

P.S. If it's essential to use a restart button, I could find the pin-outs on the motherboard and short them as needed.

Last edited:
What is the make/model of your original working ram kit?
I read this as two 2gb sticks.
What is the make/model of the new kit?
I might presume it is the same speed, cas and voltage as the original.
How do you know that the new kit is sound?

A motherboard must manage all ram with the same specs of voltage, timings and speed.
That is why ram is sold in kits.

It is not clear why you can not go back to the original working configuration.
If you removed the original ram, perhaps you did not insert it cleanly and securely.

Try installing just one stick to test it.
Assuming it works,
Try that one stick in each of the 4 slots to verify that all 4 slots are ok.

Ultimately, if you want 8gb, you may have to buy a matched kit of 2 x 4gb.
4 x 2gb should work, but to be certain, they must all be from the same matched kit.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Hi geofelt, thanks for the response.

The original sticks were: two Samsung 2GB 1RX8 PC3 10600u

I'll let you know tomorrow what the two 4GB's are. I'm using them now in the computer we are chatting on so I know they are good.

Thanks again, Jim.

What is bothersome is why reinserting your original working 2gb pair no longer works.
I think when testing hardware, it is better to power off so that the motherboard can properly adjust to any changes.
I find the reset switch to be relatively useless.

If you are going to play with hardware and motherboards, buy a front panel switch cable like this for a couple of bucks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-ATX-Pow...780792&hash=item2853d8d12f:g:3CIAAMXQqExRmxO3
You can plug it into your front panel header once and use the button to start u instead of touching the PWR pins.

And... what is your OS?
You need a 64 bit version to be able to use more than 4gb.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Here is a photo of the new sticks. Before I try to install them, I want your opinion on suitability. Thanks, Jim
4GB_memory.jpg

The new sticks are 1600 speed, the old are 1333.
Your motherboard only supports 1333 or 1066 speed.
Normally, a 1600 speed ram will run at a lower speed.
All, in all, you are asking for trouble.
Go to a ram web site like Kingston or crucial and access their ram selection app.
Enter your motherboard(CPU-Z) will tell you and you will get a list of supported kits.
Most likely a 2 x 4gb kit.
Probably $25 on ebay; twice that for 4 x 4gb.