[SOLVED] Keep GTX 1080 or upgrade to RTX 2080 Super?

Sep 8, 2019
Hey guys I'm having a hard time deciding what I wanna do with my system. I have a 4K TV that I like to game on but my GTX 1080 can't really take full advantage of it. It's starting to become a compromise of frame rate, resolution, and/or quality settings. Should I just stick to 1440p and game at that resolution? Or should I go to a used GTX 1080 ti? Or RTX 2080 Super? It would be hard for me to afford either one. Does anyone know of maybe a way to make the image look sharper at 1440p? I'd prefer not to spend anything if I don't need to. I heard there was a sharpening filter on Nvidia now but I don't know how to use it. If that looks good enough I might just keep what I have.

Solution
You can sharpen the Image by using Nvidia's DSR feature, but I suggest you buy the RTX 2080 SUPER, if you can afford one. There are other methods and tweaks like REShade, SweetFX to sharpen any game's Image/screen though.

But for 4K either the RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti SUPER GPUs might be a suitable choice, IMO.
You can sharpen the Image by using Nvidia's DSR feature, but I suggest you buy the RTX 2080 SUPER, if you can afford one. There are other methods and tweaks like REShade, SweetFX to sharpen any game's Image/screen though.

But for 4K either the RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti SUPER GPUs might be a suitable choice, IMO.

Reactions: scallumal
Solution

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey guys I'm having a hard time deciding what I wanna do with my system. I have a 4K TV that I like to game on but my GTX 1080 can't really take full advantage of it. It's starting to become a compromise of frame rate, resolution, and/or quality settings. Should I just stick to 1440p and game at that resolution? Or should I go to a used GTX 1080 ti? Or RTX 2080 Super? It would be hard for me to afford either one. Does anyone know of maybe a way to make the image look sharper at 1440p? I'd prefer not to spend anything if I don't need to. I heard there was a sharpening filter on Nvidia now but I don't know how to use it. If that looks good enough I might just keep what I have.
As metal messiah said if you can upgrade do but any 4k gaming wont have high fps at right now what i think is if you willing to go amd get rx5700xt you can power play tables that thing get 2080 performance and if you decide ypu wamt higher frames you can play at 1800p and upscale using raedeon image shapening and get native 4k looks and higher frame rates (im not sure if nvidia has the same thing now cuz i know dlss is inferior) but 2080 is solid card but its entry level 4k gaming card apparently and people alwats overlool radeon image sharpening with gpu scaling cuz alot pf games use dx 11 and its not supported in it yet

Reactions: Metal Messiah.