[SOLVED] Keep my 3060 or replace it with a 3070?

Mar 23, 2021
Apparently gpus are slowly getting back in stock at least here in Spain. Got myself a 3060 last week, eager to play my games at ultra settings, but I'm not too happy about it and feel kinda disappointed with the performance

Cyberpunk and RDR2 are the biggest heavyweights in my pc. Performance is actually really nice but I expected better on ultra settings.

Should I keep this 3060 or replace it for a 3070?

Mind you my monitor is a 1080p aoc, 144hz 1 ms, so no need to surpass 1080p

Solution
Apparently gpus are slowly getting back in stock at least here in Spain. Got myself a 3060 last week, eager to play my games at ultra settings, but I'm not too happy about it and feel kinda disappointed with the performance

Cyberpunk and RDR2 are the biggest heavyweights in my pc. Performance is actually really nice but I expected better on ultra settings.

The RTX 3060 has almost identical performance to a RTX 2060 Super (in rasterization at least) which was a very good 1080p card in it's day, but RDR2 & Cyberpunk are incredibly GPU heavy titles and will see lower framerates than you would normally...

jasonf2

Distinguished
Without overall system spec and what your performance actually is it is really tough to say. Just as a point though you need to understand that if your focus is FPS than both the CPU and GPU come into play, not just the GPU. I would suggest that you take the game that you are using as your benchmark and turn it to the lowest quality setting and see what you are getting for FPS. Regardless of GPU, the FPS ran at lowest setting is more than likely going to be the highest FPS that your rig is going to get. This is because at lowest settings typically the CPU is bottlenecking the FPS, not the GPU. At 1080 on either of those cards you should be getting more FPS than your monitor can use at 144hz. If the FPS on lowest settings is not acceptable, then you are looking at a CPU/RAM upgrade and potentially a GPU as well. GPUs by tendency allow for higher FPS at higher fidelity, but if the CPU cannot feed them in the first place they don't increase FPS beyond the CPU bottleneck.

Mar 23, 2021
How does your performance compare to reviews of the 3060 and those games?

Whats the rest of the pc spec?
It's pretty awesome coming from a 960, but I thought this card would be capable of pushing solid 60 fps on ultra settings, but it's kinda annoying having to turn down a notch some settings.

Can't really complain, no drops, no stuttering, no tearing, but still not super ultra settings. I guess optimization of individual games is a big factor

The RTX 3060 has almost identical performance to a RTX 2060 Super (in rasterization at least) which was a very good 1080p card in it's day, but RDR2 & Cyberpunk are incredibly GPU heavy titles and will see lower framerates than you would normally expect at maxed out settings.

The good news is that RDR2 is going to get DLSS 2.0 support soon (yay!) and that there are very effective ways of increasing performance in Cyberpunk with only an almost unnoticable visual penalty; I recommend you watch this video here: link

If neither of these boost performance enough for you, I'd say it's worth it to upgrade to a RTX 3070 which offers around 50% more performance than the RTX 3060 you have now.

Reactions: UCantKILLmyRock91
Solution
Mar 23, 2021
The RTX 3060 has almost identical performance to a RTX 2060 Super (in rasterization at least) which was a very good 1080p card in it's day, but RDR2 & Cyberpunk are incredibly GPU heavy titles and will see lower framerates than you would normally expect at maxed out settings.

The good news is that RDR2 is going to get DLSS 2.0 support soon (yay!) and that there are very effective ways of increasing performance in Cyberpunk with only an almost unnoticable visual penalty; I recommend you watch this video here: link

If neither of these boost performance enough for you, I'd say it's worth it to upgrade to a RTX 3070 which offers around 50% more performance than the RTX 3060 you have now.
Yeah I watched that df vid and the settings are quite nice but dlss at 1080p reduces visual quality as it seems it downscale the resolution to 720 or something like that

Yeah I watched that df vid and the settings are quite nice but dlss at 1080p reduces visual quality as it seems it downscale the resolution to 720 or something like that

It depends which DLSS mode you use. At 1080p, DLSS renders internally at 720p to reduce load on the GPU while using its tensor cores and deep learning to then upsample the image back to 1080p. It's not perfect, but the improved performance (which allows you to turn up settings that make an overall larger visual improvement) makes it worth it.

Reactions: spentshells
Mar 23, 2021
It depends which DLSS mode you use. At 1080p, DLSS renders internally at 720p to reduce load on the GPU while using its tensor cores and deep learning to then upsample the image back to 1080p. It's not perfect, but the improved performance (which allows you to turn up settings that make an overall larger visual improvement) makes it worth it.
Works like this in every game? Cyberpunk looks blurry as hell, but seems the lod bias - 3 does help with sharpeking

Works like this in every game? Cyberpunk looks blurry as hell, but seems the lod bias - 3 does help with sharpeking

As far as I know, 1080p DLSS quality mode is always 720p. Some games look better at lower resolutions than others; Cyberpunk's art style and level of detail seems to favor high resolutions whereas in simpler games it's not as important.

DLSS works best when the internal resolution has crossed a certain threshold. For example, I play Cyberpunk at 4K, and when using DLSS Performance (internally rendering at 1080p) it looks quite good, but DLSS balanced and quality definitely improve things further.

Running Cyberpunk without DLSS is super heavy, so you'll definitely want a RTX 3070 for that. Heck, if you want native 1080p + ultra settings + ray tracing + high refresh rates, you should really step all the way up to a RTX 3080.

Mar 23, 2021
As far as I know, 1080p DLSS quality mode is always 720p. Some games look better at lower resolutions than others; Cyberpunk's art style and level of detail seems to favor high resolutions whereas in simpler games it's not as important.

DLSS works best when the internal resolution has crossed a certain threshold. For example, I play Cyberpunk at 4K, and when using DLSS Performance (internally rendering at 1080p) it looks quite good, but DLSS balanced and quality definitely improve things further.

Running Cyberpunk without DLSS is super heavy, so you'll definitely want a RTX 3070 for that. Heck, if you want native 1080p + ultra settings + ray tracing + high refresh rates, you should really step all the way up to a RTX 3080.

Rtx cards are already expensive due to stock shortages, but boy the 3080 is ridiculous sitting at 1500 €, that's more than what I paid for my whole pc

I ordered a 3070 Aorus Master, it will balance out my build much better than the 3060. I think I can live without raytracing

Rtx cards are already expensive due to stock shortages, but boy the 3080 is ridiculous sitting at 1500 €, that's more than what I paid for my whole pc

I ordered a 3070 Aorus Master, it will balance out my build much better than the 3060. I think I can live without raytracing

Lol, wasn't saying that buying a RTX 3080 in this market was a good idea, just saying that it's what you'd really need if you wanted to push things to the max without DLSS.

An RTX 3070 should be fine without Ray tracing, although it might be a little bit fun to experiment with it anyway. I personally like the ray traced shadows; they look good and have a much lower performance penalty than Reflections of Global Illumination.