[SOLVED] Keeping PC running continuously or turning it off - Personal opinions and what you do

Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,

I have been reading up on whether keeping my PC on all the time or turning it off is recommended and the consensus seems to be that it is better to have it running all the time. It states the computer running all the time is less stressful than turning it off and back on again due to sudden power surges. My PC has been running for 8 days without powering off now.

I use my PC throughout the day but don't use it at night (usually between the hours 12am to 11pm) weekends and 11pm to 5.30pm the next day on the work days. I do keep it running 24/7.

What do you guys personally do and what are your opinions on this?

Thanks,

Emrah.

Solution
For computers more than six years old it is best to leave them on.

Recent advances in good computer components do not have problems when turning the computer on and off repeatedly, with the exception of hard drives. Hard drives that are turned off and on a few thousand times tend to die sooner than those left on because of the stress on the drive during start up. So, a hard drive may last 6 years if the computer is turned off and on every day or 8+ years if the computer is left on 24 hours a day.

No matter what you decide, the computer should be cleaned out two to four times a year or when you see filth BEGINNING to build up on components, which ever is sooner.

If your computer has an SSD for the operating system then you can turn...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with the environment buuuuuuuuut, 3rd industrial revolution needs to take place first.

Lot of company's leave their pcs on for years without a shutdown and a lot of users here run theirs for long periods of time as well for various reasons and not all at idle states either.

I'm a shutdown guy and never had issues. Same PCs for 6 to 7 years.

For computers more than six years old it is best to leave them on.

Recent advances in good computer components do not have problems when turning the computer on and off repeatedly, with the exception of hard drives. Hard drives that are turned off and on a few thousand times tend to die sooner than those left on because of the stress on the drive during start up. So, a hard drive may last 6 years if the computer is turned off and on every day or 8+ years if the computer is left on 24 hours a day.

No matter what you decide, the computer should be cleaned out two to four times a year or when you see filth BEGINNING to build up on components, which ever is sooner.

If your computer has an SSD for the operating system then you can turn it off and on for 8+ years and have no issues, just keep at least 10% of the drive empty.

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished
I keep my PC on all the time. I do put my monitors to sleep.

Parts heating up while on, then cooling off when the computer gets turned off, then heating up again when turned on.
I don't see how this cycle is good for any of the parts in a computer.

TRENDING THREADS