[SOLVED] Keeping things cool inside a shelf unit

Sep 10, 2020
I have a Thermaltake Core V1 case which fits nicely inside a good old Ikea Kallax shelf. It has a decent amount of room around it and obviously the shelf has an open back. (I plan to have the shelf a little way off the wall to access ports etc) The case has the front fan but no others (being a small case) and only has one solid panel (top).

I have a sort of mid range spec (32gb, Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core, 8GB AMD Radeon RX 580 etc) and for the most part am doing light weight things, but will be starting to look at motion graphics , video editing stuff soon. But basically large portions of time it's not breaking a sweat.

I'm hoping that putting it on the shelf shouldn't suffocate the poor thing - but wanted to ask if there was anything extra I could do as an extra safeguard/to bring temps down more?

Solution
Edi this because you don't have that case how I'd have it
You can swap the side and top panels over , put the glass panel to the side and the vented panel on top.

Just make sure theres at least an inch or 2 above the case to allow the perforated top to vent.

You shouldn't have any issue really.
Personally I'd drop 2 x 80mm fans in the back as exhausts running low rpm to help airflow along.

At 400rpm or so you won't really hear them.
Edi this because you don't have that case how I'd have it
You can swap the side and top panels over , put the glass panel to the side and the vented panel on top.

Just make sure theres at least an inch or 2 above the case to allow the perforated top to vent.

You shouldn't have any issue really.
Personally I'd drop 2 x 80mm fans in the back as exhausts running low rpm to help airflow along.

At 400rpm or so you won't really hear them.

Reactions: ed321
Solution