Question Kenrel Power Crashes Related to FPS. PLEASE HELP

ilzot

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
I’ve been having some problems with my gaming PC and random crashes. What will happen is that I will play certain games, anywhere from 20 seconds up to 5 minutes, and the computer will black screen and restart. When I check the event log, it’s the same message every time. Kernel Power Event 41 task 63.

Here’s my computer specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (cooled with a Hyper 212)
EVGA RTX 3070 (same problem happened with RTX 2070 Super)
MSI Gaming MPG Wifi Mobo
16gb DDR4 3600mhz RAM
Corsair RM 750x
Gigabyte 1440p 170htz monitor

I’ve tried every solution I could find. New CPU cooler (actually had a Corsair H60 and got better temps with the Hyper 212 so I just kept it), new PSU, RAM testing, new GPU (I actually just happened to upgrade but the problem persists) and numerous different driver updates. Hardware synthetically stress tested and no issues with temperature are noticeable.
Now notice I said in certain games. Here’s where I’m really confused. COD Modern Warfare. Totally maxed out, averaging 150ish FPS. No problems, never crashes.

Where I notice this behavior is when I play Halo MCC, or Sea of Thieves, this crashing behavior occurs. My only solution that I have found is when I go to my display settings and manually change the refresh rate to 60htz. Then the problem goes away and the games play fine. Same graphical settings, but different max refresh rate obviously. If I leave my display settings at 170htz, but use a frame limit option in game, the crashing returns.

I’m nearly positive that this is a software/ driver issue, however I can’t figure it out for the life of me. While I can certainly live playing my games at 60 FPS, it’s a little annoying that I can’t utilize the hardware that I have. It is also infuriating when I forget to change my refresh rate and open a new game and have to restart my computer.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Which OS version are you currently on for your platform? You should be on version 20H2. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You didn't state if it's the B450 chipset or the B550 chipset. Also, did you reinstall your GPU drivers when you swapped the GPU's?

You should source the latest installer from Nvidia's support site, use DDU to uninstall all your GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator

ilzot

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Which OS version are you currently on for your platform? You should be on version 20H2. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You didn't state if it's the B450 chipset or the B550 chipset. Also, did you reinstall your GPU drivers when you swapped the GPU's?

You should source the latest installer from Nvidia's support site, use DDU to uninstall all your GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator

You are correct in that I am running Windows 10 20H2. Currently on x570 chipset for the MOBO. I recently flashed the BIOS to 7C37v1C. There is a newer version but that currently is listened as beta. I did update the GPU driver when I installed the new card, however like I said I was getting this issue even with my old card. I certainly will try DDU removal and reinstall.