[SOLVED] Kernel 41-63 On fresh windows install

Jun 23, 2021
Hey guys. I'm posting this thread here because I'm starting to get desperate. If you need any additional data from me please ask and I'll provide it.

I have a PC with the following specs:

Intel i7 8700 CPU with a Noctua Cooler
Gigabyte H310M Motherboard
MSI Nvidia GTX 2060 Super GPU
2 HyperX Sticks of 8 GBs of DDR4 running at I believe 2666 MHz
2 Western Digital 1 TB Hard Drives
Kolink Enclave 600 W Power Supply.

A year ago I added a 1 TB M2 SSD (also from WD) to this setup, and that was when the problems started. I started getting random pc restarts with no blue screen and no pattern. They would happen at random times of the day, wether the PC was idle or in use. They could happen multiple times a day, or not happen for two months inexplicably with no changes. Always Kernel 41 with the following information:

Nome do registo:System
Origem: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Data: 23/06/2021 13:56:23
ID do evento: 41
Categoria de Tarefa:(63)
Nível: Crítico
Palavras-chave:(70368744177664),(2)
Utilizador: SYSTEM
Computador: DESKTOP-GNT5O5O
Descrição:
O sistema foi reiniciado sem primeiro ter sido encerrado de forma correta. Este erro pode ter ocorrido porque o sistema parou de responder, sofreu uma falha ou ficou sem energia inesperadamente.
Evento Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-06-23T12:56:23.0544044Z" />
<EventRecordID>1516</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-GNT5O5O</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

In response I've:

Gotten a new power supply
Gotten a new Motherboard
Swapped Outlets in my home 3 times
Swapped power strips
Ran Memtest, no faults detected on my CPU or Ram
Reinstalled Windows
Turned in my SSD into warranty (currently Its not on my system its still being looked at)

Did this as all of the diagnostics I ran on my own pointed to it possibly being a memory problem after all the other options had been exhausted. System instability was also at its peak at the time with multiple restarts happening in one day. That's stopped now, and the restart I had today was the first in 3-ish days since I turned in my SSD. Right now its a fresh windows install on one of my Hard Drives that I've had for 4 years.

If anyone has any idea why this could be happening or what I could do to fix it, I'd sacrifice my firstborn child to them.

Last edited:
Solution
41 (63) is a reaction to the previous shutdown being unexpected. It is not the cause.
Windows runs a report at startup and if it finds previous shutdown was unexpected it creates the event

Gotten a new Motherboard
Swapped power strips
Reinstalled Windows
Turned in my SSD into warranty (currently Its not on my system its still being looked at)

did you replace PSU with same one? or what...

Colif

Win 11 Master
41 (63) is a reaction to the previous shutdown being unexpected. It is not the cause.
Windows runs a report at startup and if it finds previous shutdown was unexpected it creates the event

Gotten a new Motherboard
Swapped power strips
Reinstalled Windows

did you replace PSU with same one? or what was previous one?

41/63 doesn't automatically say its PSU, as you found by replacing it.

so it crashes even without m.2.

try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Solution
Jun 23, 2021
did you replace PSU with same one? or what was previous one?

This is the new PSU. The previous PSU was a corsair VS650W I couldn't get an identical PSU and had to get the one I currently have. All of the components I posted are what are on the current build.

I also ran the diagnostic tools and the CPU passed every test.

EDIT: At the time, and now again, I used a web app where I filed in all of my peripherics and hardware to see if it'd be an issue that I was getting a PSU with a lower wattage by 50W, but from what it stated I had plenty wattage to spare.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 23, 2021
unlikely its the hdd - try running this on both - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279

so cpu checks out,
new PSU
new MB
crashes regardless of storage used

Any WIFI cards?
any additional cards?

have you tried running off the igpu of the CPU and just see if you still bsod without GPU in system, just to check.

Tried running that program but it just gave me an error that it failed to write to windows registry. So either I'm doing it wrong or idk.

No additional cards. All my peripherics are directly plugged to the Motherboard's I/O (Except for monitors, those are plugged to the GPU of course). I get internet by ethernet cable to my modem which sits right next to my desk.

I'm aware that drivers for my peripherics could cause crashes (I had that problem with a logitech driver once for a camera) but they usually result in a BSOD.

Its worth noting I do not get a BSOD. The pc just restarts with no warning. Screen goes black, audio glitches out, pc reboots. Its what made me believe it could be my PSU or Motherboard at the start, and made me consider it being memory after I eliminated those options.

For this reason I also don't think its the GPU. The crashes happen with no warning and with the PC both idle or under stress with no sort of consistency or pattern. I use my GPU pretty heavily since this is both a gaming rig and an autocad machine. Using integrated graphics instead of my GPU would render the machine completely unuseable. Right now it is serviceable at least with only one crash in the past 5-6 days.

When I made this thread I went into my windows folder to try to get you guys more info from a mindump, but I do not have that folder since this is a fresh windows install and none of those dump files have been created.

If you could give me some info on how to run that program you linked, or if there's alternatives, I could try that. I've spent 7 months now trying to figure out exactly why this keeps happening so at this point I'll try anything.

I've also considered this possibly being voltage fluctuations and it possibly just being the wiring in my walls, but the PC is the only device that is getting outages and I'm trying to rule out it being hardware/software before I get an electrician involved.

At present the only other thing that seems to happen that is odd since this fresh install has no data whatsoever from the old build (I formatted everything) is that sometimes if I try to use the windows button I can't select anything in there because it keeps scrolling uncontrollably. This windows install is fresh, which makes having this bug odd, but I have no idea if it could somehow be related.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021
Giving an update.

System hasn't really crashed since that one-off I got which could've been anything (including a windows update). Most of the diagnostics I've ran don't seem to really give off anything. I haven't heard back from my parts shop on the warranty for my SSD but I'm willing to put this to rest as it having been the SSD being defective as I went from multiple crashes a day and high system instability to one crash in the past week that could've been a one off.

Ultimately the SSD was cursed from day 1. I remember when I first installed it it had weird behavior. Like me shutting off windows and the machine itself not turning off after the OS had shut down. I'll give you guys an update if I hear anything from the parts shop soon but I'm pretty certain it was defective and that was the reason for the instability.

Thank you for the assistance, I'm marking colif's first interaction as best answer since I'm fairly certain the direction he went in would've been the right one if it hadn't been the SSD.