Question kernel data inpage error win 7

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
I have an older refurb'd hp elitebook 8440p - which has been my workhorse for the past 3 years. yesterday I got a BSOD (blue) with a Kernel data inpage error crash. I have browsed several threads here re: this error but there seem to be so many options/variations/solutions - not sure where to start. The system is crashing within 5 minutes or less of running Windows. I can run it indefinitely (?) in safe mode - which I've been using to back up data and get basic info.

I have tried a few Microsoft websites to read the dump file but mostly I get "sorry that page is no longer available" - so I don't seem to be able to download the Windbg program

system:
Win 7 pro 63 bit
intel i5 m560 2.67 GHz
RAM: 4g
(what else do you need/want?)

thanks for your help
Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Ok Ive got all kinds of errors. Where to start. I need a little more help here - despite reading throgh the link you sent. Thanks btw So . . Since Windows wrote a dump file, I thought that would be when I got the BSOD. But the error codes don't always match in time. So, per the link info, I'm thinking I should focus on the Administrative Events?? There are lots of errors just from ztarting in Safe Mode, but I'll ignore those for now. Errors at the time a dump file was written include several with Source: service control manager` - unfortunately I can't run Windows long enough to load this website, so I will have to reply with more details tomorrow. Sending this from my tablet and it's too cumbersome to type out all the errors with 2 fingers on a tiny keyboard.

Please stay tuned

Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
May go into the event viewer to check what error(s) you got. https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

Thanks for that link

First – I am fairly confident that the BSODs started on 4/20 – and there are ‘common’ events for that date (see below) but there was no dump file for that date. I did get dump files for the other BSODs. Also . I focused my attention to those events which occurred just prior to the creation of a dump file – indicating a crash. fyi
Ok - I’ve been examining the events from Event Viewer. There are 2,895 events dating back to 2014 when I got this computer. Here are two common themes;
For 3 of the recent 4 BSODs for which a dump file was created I got 3 ‘Bugchecks’; 2 with 0x0000007a; and 1 with 0x000000f4. According to Microsoft kB 977178, I can get these stop codes when I ‘try to resume a computer that has a large SATA hard disk’. However, none of the crashes occurred after a ‘sleep’ or hibernation session, hence no ‘resume’. There were also no other Bugchecks in 2895 ‘events’ in the Administrative Events file and they were all within the last 3 days when BSODs started. Hmmmmm. The hard drive on this computer is 230 GB drive (+-). Probably much bigger than this older laptop was designed for. Does this mean my HD is failing??

I also have 135 identical events between 4/20 – 4/23 with no such events prior to my BSODs:
Source: Atapi Event 11 : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
When I go to Device manager and open the IDE ATA/Atapi controllers, all are ‘working properly’. This is in Safe mode – the only mode I can use right now. So maybe that ‘test’ is meaningless.

Also - why would I get a 'critical' error event at windows bootup? I have several of these.

fyi - my computer has been taking longer and longer and longer to boot - with the HD spinning almost endlessly.

I find no other similarities.

Does any of this help??

Thanks
Kelly

All ( 0x0000007a, 0x000000f4, IdePort0) pointed to the hard drive or another device on this IDePort0 may have problem, you may change the cable, or disconnect it, then boot the PC.
If your boot device is connected into the IDePort0, that means the boot evice has problem, and may try use other HDD/SSD to reinstall the OS.

Reactions: hondochica

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
This is a laptop, no cables to change or disconnect. I assume the harddrive is port 0, but device manager does not tell me. If it's a hard drive failing, why does it run without crashing in Safe Mode? I had the laptop on in Safe Mode for hours today looking at the event logs, created a file in Word, and saved the file to a flash drive.

I'm confused

Thanks

Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for those links.

I ran HDTune and CrystalInfo (I didn't realize I could get on the internet in safe mode). Both programs indicate 'redline' airflow temperature; as well as 3 bad sectors. (seems that posting a .jpg is not intuitive - at least for me; yes I see that 'insert image' button . . but . . ).

I am traveling right now and don't have access to my OS disks; is there any way I could mirror/copy the OS from this failing HDD or would that be a bad idea w/ 3 bad sectors?

did not try start-up repair - didn't see the point.

am I shopping for a new external HDD and can I run an external as the boot drive?

thanks

kelly

You will need other computer to clone the hard drive.
  1. Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
  2. You can the software from WD or Seagate too.
WD: Acronis True Image WD Edition Software https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119
Seagate: DiscWizard https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

can I run an external as the boot drive?
Read the linkers, and try it out.
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-Windows-7-OS-on-a-Portable-Hard-Drive

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Can I / should I clone a hard drive where the OS is crasing? Wouldn't that imply bad data somewhere and wouldn't the new drive carry the same bad data?

With a 230 GB HDD should I partition the hard drive? Can you point me to a good tutorial on how to do this.

Thanks

Can I / should I clone a hard drive where the OS is crasing? Wouldn't that imply bad data somewhere and wouldn't the new drive carry the same bad data?
Because your HDD had 3 bad sectors so that the files are in these sections you can not get them back. That why recommend to do the "startup repair". Or if you had the win7 disc or boot drive, and you are better to do the clean installation in the new HDD. Then recovery the files/folders from the old HDD, if you can see the files/folders.

You don't have to do the partition, recommend to don't do it, but if you want, you should install the win7 first, then check the linker for how to: https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-Your-Hard-Drive-in-Windows-7

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks Cin19 - I didn't understand the point of doing the startup repair.

When i bought this laptop, it was supposed to be a 64 bit win7, but actually had the 32 bit win7. the refurb company sent me "Please email the iso file of the 64bit version of Kelly’s OS and instruction on how to download it and make it bootable" (there's a reason I Never delete emails!!!!). I still have this file on my computer - it's actually 1 of 3 files - the others being necessary drivers and I'm not sure which is which. I'm not sure I can access the instructions anymore - but if I can - could I just run this on the new HDD??

Also - turns out I DO have a image backup of this laptop from a date that actually pre-dates when I bought this computer ( weird), probably with the 32 bit software I created before I did the upgrade - just in case it went badly; but clearly a file I created as it has the name I gave this computer. Should I start with the image backup and upgrade to the 64 bit or, if the 64 bit is 'bootable' wouldn't it be a complete win7 OS and do I need the 32 bit backup?

So per your previous note, I'm better off with a clean install - how to proceed?

where can I make a donation to Toms Hardware for all your time and patience? :)) You are saving me hours and hours of internet research

Really appreciate your help

kelly