Kernel Power 41 BSOD and hard hang

madskills38

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Lets cut to the chase.

I got a new psu and ram. BUT still I am getting hard hangs and bsod.
I checked in the event view add it was kernel power 41.
How do I fix this. I updated my drivers as well so what do I do????
Also I disable fast startup and reinstalled Windows 10 of a usb. I installed Windows 10 of usb at the start and ever since I built my new pc I have been getting this problem! Oh yeah I didn't activated windows.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
Sounds like a hardware problem. Is any of your components overheating? Have you overclocked any of them?

A dying hard drive is also a possible cause. Use CrystalDiskInfo to check your drive's health.

If none of that works, you should probably still check whether your PSU has enough juice to power all your stuff, and also check your memory using Memtest86.

Note: These programs are my personal choice, feel free to use other programs if you so prefer.

madskills38

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

no I haven't overclocked, my psu 550w and all the tests passed in memtest
will update on others.
Also sometimes it randomly restarts and sometimes doesn't restart when I want it to. Sometimes when I on the computer it shows but never gets to windows.

madskills38

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

could it be software?

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

Doubt it. Kernel power errors are directly related to power supply issues. This is why anything regulating the current through the computer is suspect, mainly the motherboard and PSU. Replacing a PSU is generally preferable to replacing a motherboard, which is why I want to make sure the problem is not the motherboard. However, if it turns out it is, you may have to replace it.

generally hard hangs happened in the graphic driver. then you reboot then at that time the system checks a setting to see if the last shutdown completed. if it did not complete
(since you rebooted from a hard hang) the event power error 41 is recorded in the event log. you would also get this error recorded if you had no hardware problems and just unplugged the power cord. The error is recorded on the next boot.

so, focus on fixing the hard hang problem.
do this: go to the motherboard vendors website and update the bios and motherboard drivers. then reboot, then go to the gpu vendors website and update the graphic drivers. (be sure to include the gpu sound driver)

the most common cause of a gpu hang is due to sound drivers conflicting with the gpu sound support for hdmi sound. most often caused by a conflict with a old sound driver on your motherboard.

there are other common causes of a gpu hang. the new malware now runs programs on your graphic card to mine bit coins. GPU overclocking software can overclock the GPU too much. Windows update will sometimes update the gpu driver but not the GPU sound driver (windows update requires a reboot after it updates a gpu driver)

generally most hardware errors will eventually result in a bugcheck, but graphics drivers have less error checking since they have to run very fast. so when it hangs and the graphics does not refresh, windows is seeing the gpu still executing code and has not detected the problem so it can call a bugcheck to stop the system.

you can also sometimes avoid this hang by disabling high definition audio devices that you do not have a speaker connected to. (better to get updated drivers and not have to worry about it any more)