Kernel-power 41

Dec 13, 2020
Hi all,

I just built a new computer. Right now only when running lightroom I will will get a power down and kernel-power 41 error in windows. I reinstalled the drivers for the motherboard and just updated graphics driver. I can play games for 3 hours and no crash. Also no crash running aida64 stability test. I set the Drive to never sleep in power management. I also unplugged everything and plugged it back in and double checked everything was set properly. My power supply is like 10 years old. Is this the most probable cause? Or has anyone ever heard of lightroom causing a crash? I am also wondering if its the ram since lightroom is ram hungry.

Ryzen 7 3900xt
Gigabyte 550m
16 GB crucial 3200 x.m.p used to run @ 3200
1 TB Samsung ssd os is installed here and lightroom
M.2SSD where games are
Evga 1070 sc
OCZ 850 watt power supply

Thank you and if I left out any useful information please let me know.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The event is a reaction to a restart, not the cause of one.

And yes, a 10 year old PSU is a good place to start looking at random restarts, but not if its only happened once. If it happens every time it could be a sign it needs a retirement.

Dec 13, 2020
Thank youfor the reply. I ordered a new power supply because I was planning on doing it eventually anyway. The weird thing is the power down only happens using lightroom so far. But it has happened several times. I downloaded and ran OCCT for an hour on the CPU, Memory, and power test and no power down.

Dec 13, 2020
so I removed and reinstalled lightroom. And reinstalled the video driver with a fresh install. I was able to work 30min without it powering down. So fingers crossed that fixed it. Its just weird, I've never had a power down crash be from software or drivers.

Dec 13, 2020
So I installed a new power supply today. It still powered down suddenly in lightroom. I ran memtest86 for 4 passes and no errors. And temps are around 80 c during stress testing and also no crash. I'm beginning to think it is a cause from geforce driver 460.79. The reason I suspect this is because I disabled graphics card acceleration and no crash yet. I only worked for about a hour but its promising. I contacted geforce to see what they say. Has anyone else had any trouble with this new driver?