Question Kernel Power BSOD, but only when watching Youtube videos ?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I recently had a problem where I had a Kernel Power BSOD, but it only happens when I'm watching Youtube videos.

After the BSOD I rebooted the computer, did a memory diagnostics test with no errors. Then I played an hour of Hitman 3 on ultra settings with no issues; so I don't think it's a PSU issue.

I've gotten similar crashes before. Only happens when watching youtube videos. I can be playing a game on max settings for hours; zero crashes.

PC specs....
CPU: Ryzen 5600
GPU: RTX 3060
RAM: 16GB

Solution
It's more likely to be Netwtw04.sys, the Intel wireless driver. It's explicitly referenced several times in the dump in the lead-up to the bugcheck. Was one of the driver updates for the WiFi card? That was the problem driver in this dump (Netwtw04.sys).

Colif

Win 11 Master
what make/model PSU?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
what make/model PSU?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Not sure what the make/model of the PSU is I will have to check; but I think it's a pretty high quality PSU.

If it is a PSU problem though, why can I play games at max settings for hours and never BSOD? Only when watching Youtube?

I uploaded the dump files to Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_rP28rCc6QwphRwlCQMflaPzGAg95HsF/view

I may try disabling extensions as someone said.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried disabling extensions?

I missed your dumps earlier

strange, 2 are copies. Only really 2 dumps in there.

results

File: 042924-12171-01.dmp (Apr 29 2024 - 15:49:05)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwtw04.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 3 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File: 042524-18890-01.dmp (Apr 26 2024 - 08:49:49)
Uptime: 6 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

You second person in two days with the cause being the Intel network drivers
Feb 20 2022Netwtw04.sysIntel Wireless Wifi Link driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

I guess they are a little old.
newest one on the Asrock site older than what you have.
Try running this and see what it offers
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

amazed speedfan works on that motherboard, ever tried https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases as its way better over all. I used Speedfan for years until I swapped to an X570 board and it didn't recognise it. They haven't updated in years.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Both dumps are indeed identical, both fail because a list entry data structure has been corrupted and, as @Colif has already stated, the Netwtw04.sys driver (an Intel WiFi driver) is the only third-party driver on the call stack leading up to the bugcheck. This driver is old, dating from Feb 2022...
Code:
0: kd> lmvmNetwtw04
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff805`46db0000 fffff805`47649000   Netwtw04 T (no symbols)         
    Loaded symbol image file: Netwtw04.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Netwtw04.sys
    Image name: Netwtw04.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Sun Feb 20 09:53:03 2022 (6211F35F)
    CheckSum:         0085F988
    ImageSize:        00899000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:
In the first instance I'd look for an update for this driver. There isn't an updated driver for the on-board WIFi on the website for your Asrock B550M/ac motherboard, but the Intel Driver and Support Assistant may find a more recent driver.

However, BSODs like this are not always what they seem. It's entirely possible that the list structure was corrupted by another driver that we don't see in the dump (it may have ended and unloaded) and it's the innocent Netwtw04.sys driver that detected the structure corruption and caused the BSOD.

If an updated driver doesn't stop the BSODs, or if there is no driver update, then the only way to track down the rogue driver is by enabling Driver Verifier...

Driver Verifier subjects selected drivers (typically all third-party drivers) to extra tests and checks every time they are called. These extra checks are designed to uncover drivers that are misbehaving. If any selected driver fails any of the Driver Verifier tests/checks then Driver Verifier will BSOD. The resulting minidump should contain enough information for us to identify the flaky driver. It's thus essential to keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is enabled.

To enable Driver Verifier do the following:

1. Take a System Restore point and/or take a disk image of your system drive (with Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar). It is possible that Driver Verifier may BSOD a driver during the boot process (some drivers are loaded during boot). If that happens you'll be stuck in a boot-BSOD loop.

If you should end up in a boot-BSOD loop, boot the Windows installation media and use that to run system restore and restore to the restore point you took, to remove Driver Verifier and get you booting again. Alternatively you can use the Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar, boot media to restore the disk image you took.

Please don't skip this step. it's the only way out of a Driver Verifier boot-BSOD loop.

2. Start the Driver Verifier setup dialog by entering the command verifier in either the Run command box or in a command prompt.

3. On that initial dialog, click the radio button for 'Create custom settings (for code developers)' - the second option - and click the Next button.

4. On the second dialog check (click) the checkboxes for the following tests...
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking
Then click the Next button.

5. On the next dialog click the radio button for 'Select driver names from a list' - the last option - and click the Next button.

6. On the next dialog click on the 'Provider' heading, this will sort the drivers on this column (it makes it easier to isolate Microsoft drivers).

7. Now check (click) ALL drivers that DO NOT have Microsoft as the provider (ie. check all third-party drivers).

8. Then, on the same dialog, check the following Microsoft drivers (and ONLY these Microsoft drivers)...
  • Wdf01000.sys
  • ndis.sys
  • fltMgr.sys
  • Storport.sys
These are high-level Microsoft drivers that manage lower-level third-party drivers that we otherwise wouldn't be able to trap. That's why they're included.

9. Now click Finish and then reboot. Driver Verifiier will be enabled.

Be aware that Driver Verifier will remain enabled across all reboots and shutdowns. It can only be disabled manually.

Also be aware that we expect BSODs. Indeed, we want BSODs, to be able to identify the flaky driver(s). You MUST keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is running, so disable any disk cleanup tools you may have.

10. Leave Driver Verifier running for 48 hours, use your PC as normal during this time, but do try and make it BSOD. Use every game or app that you normally use, and especially those where you have seen it BSOD in the past. If Windows doesn't automatically reboot after each BSOD then just reboot as normal and continue testing. The Driver Verifier generated BSODs are these...
  • 0xC1: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
  • 0xC4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
  • 0xC6: DRIVER_CAUGHT_MODIFYING_FREED_POOL
  • 0xC9: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
  • 0xD6: DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION
  • 0xE6: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION
If you see any of these BSOD types then you can disable Driver Verifier early because you'll have caught a misbehaving driver.

Note: Because Driver Verifier is doing extra work each time a third-party driver is loaded you will notice some performance degradation with Driver Verifier enabled. This is a price you'll have to pay in order to locate any flaky drivers. And remember, Driver Verifier can only test drivers that are loaded, so you need to ensure that every third-party driver gets loaded by using all apps, features and devices.

11. To turn Driver Verifier off enter the command verifier /reset in either Run command box or a command prompt and reboot.

Should you wish to check whether Driver Verfier is enabled or not, open a command prompt and enter the command verifier /query. If drivers are listed then it's enabled, if no drivers are listed then it's not.

12. When Driver Verifier has been disabled, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and locate all .dmp files in there that are related to the period when Driver Verifier was running (check the timestamps). Zip these files up if you like, or not as you choose. Upload the file(s) to the cloud with a link to it/them here (be sure to make it public).

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Both dumps are indeed identical, both fail because a list entry data structure has been corrupted and, as @Colif has already stated, the Netwtw04.sys driver (an Intel WiFi driver) is the only third-party driver on the call stack leading up to the bugcheck. This driver is old, dating from Feb 2022...
Code:
0: kd> lmvmNetwtw04
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff805`46db0000 fffff805`47649000   Netwtw04 T (no symbols)      
    Loaded symbol image file: Netwtw04.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Netwtw04.sys
    Image name: Netwtw04.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Sun Feb 20 09:53:03 2022 (6211F35F)
    CheckSum:         0085F988
    ImageSize:        00899000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:
In the first instance I'd look for an update for this driver. There isn't an updated driver for the on-board WIFi on the website for your Asrock B550M/ac motherboard, but the Intel Driver and Support Assistant may find a more recent driver.

However, BSODs like this are not always what they seem. It's entirely possible that the list structure was corrupted by another driver that we don't see in the dump (it may have ended and unloaded) and it's the innocent Netwtw04.sys driver that detected the structure corruption and caused the BSOD.

If an updated driver doesn't stop the BSODs, or if there is no driver update, then the only way to track down the rogue driver is by enabling Driver Verifier...

Driver Verifier subjects selected drivers (typically all third-party drivers) to extra tests and checks every time they are called. These extra checks are designed to uncover drivers that are misbehaving. If any selected driver fails any of the Driver Verifier tests/checks then Driver Verifier will BSOD. The resulting minidump should contain enough information for us to identify the flaky driver. It's thus essential to keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is enabled.

To enable Driver Verifier do the following:

1. Take a System Restore point and/or take a disk image of your system drive (with Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar). It is possible that Driver Verifier may BSOD a driver during the boot process (some drivers are loaded during boot). If that happens you'll be stuck in a boot-BSOD loop.

If you should end up in a boot-BSOD loop, boot the Windows installation media and use that to run system restore and restore to the restore point you took, to remove Driver Verifier and get you booting again. Alternatively you can use the Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar, boot media to restore the disk image you took.

Please don't skip this step. it's the only way out of a Driver Verifier boot-BSOD loop.

2. Start the Driver Verifier setup dialog by entering the command verifier in either the Run command box or in a command prompt.

3. On that initial dialog, click the radio button for 'Create custom settings (for code developers)' - the second option - and click the Next button.

4. On the second dialog check (click) the checkboxes for the following tests...
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking
Then click the Next button.

5. On the next dialog click the radio button for 'Select driver names from a list' - the last option - and click the Next button.

6. On the next dialog click on the 'Provider' heading, this will sort the drivers on this column (it makes it easier to isolate Microsoft drivers).

7. Now check (click) ALL drivers that DO NOT have Microsoft as the provider (ie. check all third-party drivers).

8. Then, on the same dialog, check the following Microsoft drivers (and ONLY these Microsoft drivers)...
  • Wdf01000.sys
  • ndis.sys
  • fltMgr.sys
  • Storport.sys
These are high-level Microsoft drivers that manage lower-level third-party drivers that we otherwise wouldn't be able to trap. That's why they're included.

9. Now click Finish and then reboot. Driver Verifiier will be enabled.

Be aware that Driver Verifier will remain enabled across all reboots and shutdowns. It can only be disabled manually.

Also be aware that we expect BSODs. Indeed, we want BSODs, to be able to identify the flaky driver(s). You MUST keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is running, so disable any disk cleanup tools you may have.

10. Leave Driver Verifier running for 48 hours, use your PC as normal during this time, but do try and make it BSOD. Use every game or app that you normally use, and especially those where you have seen it BSOD in the past. If Windows doesn't automatically reboot after each BSOD then just reboot as normal and continue testing. The Driver Verifier generated BSODs are these...
  • 0xC1: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
  • 0xC4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
  • 0xC6: DRIVER_CAUGHT_MODIFYING_FREED_POOL
  • 0xC9: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
  • 0xD6: DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION
  • 0xE6: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION
If you see any of these BSOD types then you can disable Driver Verifier early because you'll have caught a misbehaving driver.

Note: Because Driver Verifier is doing extra work each time a third-party driver is loaded you will notice some performance degradation with Driver Verifier enabled. This is a price you'll have to pay in order to locate any flaky drivers. And remember, Driver Verifier can only test drivers that are loaded, so you need to ensure that every third-party driver gets loaded by using all apps, features and devices.

11. To turn Driver Verifier off enter the command verifier /reset in either Run command box or a command prompt and reboot.

Should you wish to check whether Driver Verfier is enabled or not, open a command prompt and enter the command verifier /query. If drivers are listed then it's enabled, if no drivers are listed then it's not.

12. When Driver Verifier has been disabled, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and locate all .dmp files in there that are related to the period when Driver Verifier was running (check the timestamps). Zip these files up if you like, or not as you choose. Upload the file(s) to the cloud with a link to it/them here (be sure to make it public).
Thanks. I will try to see if I can use the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to update that driver.

Had another system crash yesterday, looked at the dump files and the culprit was a file that had something to do with the Riot Vanguard anti-cheat. Googled it and other people had the problem as well. Makes sense since I installed Valorant in 2023 and haven't really played it since.

After removing the Riot Games launcher and removing bluetooth; I was able to start Windows with no crashes with Driver Verifier.

Also one of the bluetooth drivers seemed to cause crashes in Driver Verifier. After disabling bluetooth and removing Riot Vanguard I haven't had any problems. The crashes only seem to happen when the computer is idle or watching a youtube video; never in a game or intense application.

I've also been playing Total War Warhammer 2 for several hours with no crashes. How likely is it that these crashes are hardware related?

ubuysa

Distinguished
The vgk.sys driver is a known issue, as you discovered, it causes BSODs for lots of people. It's good that you removed it, you might find that this was your problem after all. It might be wise to just use the system as normal for a few weeks and see whether it's now stable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mwifi.sys - Microsoft Wifi driver... that seems unlikely... Microsoft drivers generally don't cause BSOD.

File: 050324-5546-01.dmp (May 3 2024 - 14:09:09)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

It is still pointing at Intel Wifi drivers (which is more likely than Microsoft ones)
Vanguard thinks it owns the PC it is on. Not sad to see it gone. Shame Valorant won't work without it.
'

You are 13 BIOS versions behind current one (not even including the latest Beta) - it might help
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550Mac/index.asp#BIOS
Try updating chipset drivers as well = https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b550.html

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Mwifi.sys - Microsoft Wifi driver... that seems unlikely... Microsoft drivers generally don't cause BSOD.

File: 050324-5546-01.dmp (May 3 2024 - 14:09:09)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

It is still pointing at Intel Wifi drivers (which is more likely than Microsoft ones)
Vanguard thinks it owns the PC it is on. Not sad to see it gone. Shame Valorant won't work without it.
'

You are 13 BIOS versions behind current one (not even including the latest Beta) - it might help
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550Mac/index.asp#BIOS
Try updating chipset drivers as well = https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b550.html
How can I update Microsoft wifi drivers?

Might try to update the BIOS.

Still really strange how I can play an intensive game for hours never crash, but I'm just sitting idle BSOD because nwifi.sys.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can't fix Microsoft drivers. It was very unlikely it was cause. it might have been what crashed, which is a different thing. It might have been the victim.

drivers mentioned up till crash occurred (note, order is backwards, things at top happen first)
Netwtw04.sys - Intel Wifi driver
wdiwifi.sys - Wifi Direct feature of Windows
ndis.sys - network driver Interface Specification
vwififlt.sys - Virtual wifi filter driver
nwifi.sys - I am not sure what this is but its from Microsoft and always seen with wdwifi.sys

Every driver that is mentioned prior to crash was a Microsoft one except for the Intel Wifi Driver.
it was a cascade. the driver caused the crash as MS drivers don't cause BSOD.

why do Microsoft have a driver called Mwifi and one called Nwifi... confusing
Dump doesn't mention the one you say errors are showing as... Sure its not nwifi.sys? it was the last thing running at end of last crash

ffffd704`55a9d930 fffff800`caaeff4d : ffffdc0f`cd7a1010 ffffdc0f`cf4e7c90 ffffdc0f`d3ec546c 00000000`00000000 : nwifi!ExtSTAAssocCompletion+0x117c

was the last line before it all crashed.

need Ubuysa to look at it and see if he can see what I can't.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
you can't fix Microsoft drivers. It was very unlikely it was cause. it might have been what crashed, which is a different thing. It might have been the victim.

drivers mentioned up till crash occurred (note, order is backwards, things at top happen first)
Netwtw04.sys - Intel Wifi driver
wdiwifi.sys - Wifi Direct feature of Windows
ndis.sys - network driver Interface Specification
vwififlt.sys - Virtual wifi filter driver
nwifi.sys - I am not sure what this is but its from Microsoft and always seen with wdwifi.sys

Every driver that is mentioned prior to crash was a Microsoft one except for the Intel Wifi Driver.
it was a cascade. the driver caused the crash as MS drivers don't cause BSOD.

why do Microsoft have a driver called Mwifi and one called Nwifi... confusing
Dump doesn't mention the one you say errors are showing as... Sure its not nwifi.sys? it was the last thing running at end of last crash

ffffd704`55a9d930 fffff800`caaeff4d : ffffdc0f`cd7a1010 ffffdc0f`cf4e7c90 ffffdc0f`d3ec546c 00000000`00000000 : nwifi!ExtSTAAssocCompletion+0x117c

was the last line before it all crashed.

need Ubuysa to look at it and see if he can see what I can't.
Yes, I did mean nwifi.sys.

I noticed I hadn't installed recent Windows Updates, so I installed them and so far I've left my computer on overnight with no crashes. Hopefully that fixes it.

Edit:
After installing updates PC hasn't crashed pretty much the whole day after watching Youtube videos; keeping my fingers crossed that that fixed it.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
It's more likely to be Netwtw04.sys, the Intel wireless driver. It's explicitly referenced several times in the dump in the lead-up to the bugcheck. Was one of the driver updates for the WiFi card? That was the problem driver in this dump (Netwtw04.sys).

Solution

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
After deleting the original Intel WIFI drivers in safe mode, then letting Windows manually reinstall the driver, then updating the driver with the Intel Support utility; I haven't had any crashes in days.

So for now I can consider the problem solved.

Reactions: ubuysa