Question Keyboard and mouse not working after a new motherboard installation

Apr 28, 2019
Hello People of the internet I just installed a new mobo and cpu in my pc. At the bottom of the description it will show my old pc parts vs the new pc parts. I installed a new mobo and cpu and everything was going good. I booted into bios and my keyboard and mouse was working. The. Booting into Windows 7, my keyboard and mouse stop working. I have the driver installation CD but there’s no way I can get to it without a keyboard and mouse. If anyone can help me that would be great!

Old PC:
CPU: I5-7500
Mobo:H110M Gaming
GPU: 1070 founders edition
RAM: 2x 8gb Ballistix Sport
HHD: 1tb Western Digital
PSU: SMART 600w

New PC:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
Mobo:ASUS Prime b350-plus
GPU: 1070 founders edition
RAM: 2x 8gb Ballistix Sport
HHD: 1tb Western Digital
PSU: SMART 600w

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
its the drivers. the USB driver to be exact. windows 7 does not have them and is seeing the keyboard and mouse and trying to decide if ones a wifi and the other is a GPU. without the drivers windows knows something is connected but has no earthly idea what. the driver is windows user manual for the part, what it is, how it works, what it eats, etc.

two solutions I know of, easiest first:
connect a old round plug keyboard or mouse. mouse would be preferred. once connected you have control to install the USB drivers and then after the reboot the USB ports will work. no drivers needed at all for PS/2 port devices.

second:
re-author the windows installer to include the drivers needed for your hardware. By adding the driver files to the windows .iso file (a process called slipspreaming - nlite is a program to do this) windows will know during install what all the hardware is and how to use it. - cons takes time, confusing at times, it may take a few tries to get it down correctly, will need to re-install windows again.

if you can find a PS/2 keyboard or mouse that would be the easiest fastest way to correct the issue

for more information on nlite:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nlite+slipspreaming&t=ffsb&ia=web

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Will reinstalling windows work because im gonna try that?

not unless you have either an old peripheral with a ps/2 port, or a version of windows with the USB drivers.
without one of these two things you are running in circles in a vicious cycle just reinstalling.
windows 10 will work and you can run it without activation for extended periods. it will have the proper driver in its driver cache.

Apr 28, 2019
Sry for late feedback but what if I hit next but it says I have to have a product key?
you can download the ISO from windows, during install when it asks for the license number click next, windows will run un-activated until you can either get a license number or get a keyboard that works with 7.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
with this the USB ports can be used to install the OS, it has the drivers.
what if it says I have to have a product key