Question keyboard and mouse not working after motherboard and cpu upgrade

sammyb123

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
I upgraded my motherboard and cpu yesterday. After the upgrade I boot up and get the gigabyte boot screen, I get the post beep and then it immediatly goes into a screen saying that I either need to reseet my ftpm or keep the old one. I need to press y to reset on n to keep the old settings. Only issue is none of my usb keyboards are being detected. Any help is greatly appreciated.

New Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 AMD AM4
New CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4500 Renoir 3.6GHz 6-Core AM4

usb ports seem to be working because I get a charging light when plugged in but no functionality. I am assuming its a driver issue but don't know how I would install new drivers if I cannot get passed the ftpm screen or enter the bios menu?

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
I am assuming its a driver issue but don't know how I would install new drivers if I cannot get passed the ftpm screen or enter the bios menu?
Big ask but do you have a PS/2 keyboard around as a plan B?

Or try the USB 2.0 port if you haven't already as @Cyberat_88 suggests. That is the 2 top most port on your board.
GNT73hs.png

sammyb123

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
USB 3.0+ drivers are not loaded on post but in Windows.
For one activate Legacy Devices in Bios.
Hold down F2 or Delete, go straight to bios, before post.
Thank you for the response but unfortunately that's not an option since the keyboard is not recognized at all. I have already tried though lol

sammyb123

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Big ask but do you have a PS/2 keyboard around as a plan B?

Or try the USB 2.0 port if you haven't already as @Cyberat_88 suggests. That is the 2 top most port on your board.
GNT73hs.png
I think i may have to resort to ps/2 if all else fails but I do not have one on hand. With that said, I have tried all usb ports, rechecked connections on the mobo but none are responsive. The funny thing is, ps/2 used to be so widely available and so cheap and now they're less available and more expensive than many usb keyboards.

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
I think i may have to resort to ps/2 if all else fails but I do not have one on hand. With that said, I have tried all usb ports, rechecked connections on the mobo but none are responsive. The funny thing is, ps/2 used to be so widely available and so cheap and now they're less available and more expensive than many usb keyboards.
Hence why I say its a big ask. If you don't have any better off running to RMA the board and let the merchant deal with it. But if PS/2 keyboard work then we are sure it is a USB driver issue rather than the whole IO panel being dead or something like that.

sammyb123

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
You can get a USB to PS/2 adapter or 2. Also if only 1 PS/2 port, a dual USB to PS/2 adapter.
Much cheaper and you use your current hardware.
I actually had a PS/2 adapter ordered and received it today. Tested it and still no dice. The message I get is
"New CPU installed. ftpm/psp NV is corrupted or ftpm/psp NV structure changed." then there is the press Y to reset ftpm or N to keep previous, but the problem is that the input from the keyboard is not detected. I get a light on the keyboard so the ports get power but thats just about it. I tried installing the USB cable on both USB1 then USB2 headers but still the same. Is there a way to test the power coming out of the USB cable into the headers to see if its getting the right voltage?