[SOLVED] Keyboard (even on screen) not working

Jan 9, 2019
Hi everyone, hoping for some insight here. I appreciate any help.

My mother-in-law was the last to use my computer. Upon starting it up, the keyboard was not working to log into windows. A few keys would work (like caps lock and E). Another physical keyboard and the onscreen keyboard did the same.

I opened the case and checked for anything loose, made sure it was clean, etc.

I reset Windows and deleted all my settings/files. After doing this, the keyboard worked... but then I rebooted and it went right back to how it was. At least now I could get into Windows, so I tried the on screen keyboard again - I noticed when typing the E key, the euro symbol came up, despite no modifiers being in use.

Just reformatted the drive and repartitioned, then reinstalled. It is looking much like the reset... during set up the in screen keyboard worked, but not my physical one. Now my keyboard is working in windows, and I'm afraid to reboot

Solution
to reply, you click on the reply to button at bottom of my post
Don't worry about downvote, I will live :)

Razer... well, synapse is a lot of fun. its odd it manages to stop the on screen keyboard.

Try doing a clean boot and see if it is same behaviour, that will tell us if its a start up program causing the behaviour - read instructions carefully and make sure not to disable any MIcrosoft services or PC won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Otherwise: lets see if its your user, try creating a local user - link - and see if they have same problem with keyboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you got the right language set as default in language settings?
go to settings/time & language/Language
if your language is not a t top, click on it and use the up arrow
Also choose options and make sure right keyboard format is being used

Go into settings/accounts/sync your settings and turn off language preferences as it might be using your roaming profile to set the language as wrong on login.

Jan 9, 2019
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reply to a reply here, and now my browser is going crazy laggy and I accidentally downvoted when I meant to upvote - I'm sorry

Colif

Win 11 Master
to reply, you click on the reply to button at bottom of my post
Don't worry about downvote, I will live :)

Razer... well, synapse is a lot of fun. its odd it manages to stop the on screen keyboard.

Try doing a clean boot and see if it is same behaviour, that will tell us if its a start up program causing the behaviour - read instructions carefully and make sure not to disable any MIcrosoft services or PC won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Otherwise: lets see if its your user, try creating a local user - link - and see if they have same problem with keyboard

Solution