Question Keyboard malware/virus?

Jul 25, 2019
Corsair k70 rgb, few years old.

It started with my keyboard only typing in accents (áéùóí) and no other keys working.
So i pulled tried a few obvious things, restarting pc, unplugging and replugging the usb etc. These did little to remedy the problem. So, i pulled up the onscreen keyboard and it showed that Lctrl, Lwindows, alt, alt gr, and right windows key were being 'held in'.
I then tried turning on sticky keys and that actually helped for a short while. Untill after about 20 mins, the entire bottom row ( left ctrl to right ctrl) had stoped working entirely.
BTW Trying to search for tips for help in this problem was diabolically difficult without a functioning keyboard.
I had then thought cmd prompt or a start up program was casuing it. So i took the keyboard and tested it on a lap top and it did the whole 'àèìò' stuff so i decided it was maybe old age getting to the board. I was going to get it repaired or replaced, the next day a family member went on the laptop, low and behold its only typing accented vowels.
Have i given my laptop computer aids?
Is it the keyboard or software?
This is really rakkin my brains.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I was going to get it repaired or replaced, the next day a family member went on the laptop, low and behold its only typing accented vowels.
I'm struggling to follow that bit, so are you saying that the problem continued?

If so, if you've tried it on a desktop and a laptop and the issue persisted, I'd be tempted to say the keyboard is now defective. Especially if on screen is indicating buttons are being pushed all the time, usually drivers wouldn't necessarily cause that kind of issue.

Also viruses that retain in hardware are much rarer, few and far between, and ultimately are much more advanced, so wouldn't be simply making you type oddly!

Jul 25, 2019
Hey, cheers.

Right, so i tested it on my laptop, it was doing the same thing on there. So i came ro the conclusion that it was the keyboard and not the computer.
The next day the laptop booted up and its own keyboard, without my desktop keyboard plugged in, started doing the same thing.
Thats why im even toying the idea that its a virus. There is no other reason why the laptop should be doing the same thing.

It is really strange, is it not?

I have broght a cheap keyboard to test out, will update later.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The next day the laptop booted up and its own keyboard, without my desktop keyboard plugged in, started doing the same thing.

I have broght a cheap keyboard to test out, will update later.
Ah right, understood.

That is odd, may suggest it COULD be a big driver conflict. May be worth removing any third party keyboard drivers on the laptop if the keyboard installed any when you plugged it in, and see if the issue persists.