Keyboard Mouse not being detected by OS

Prashanthrb

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I have Asus x-370 Prime Pro Mother board with Ryzen 1700x R7 Processor. Got OEM win 10 Pro for OS. The problem first occurred three to four days back, where suddenly my mouse and keyboard not detected by my PC. After reboot and some playing around found that it is perfectly working in BIOS and Windows Recovery settings at the start but not once Windows fully boots up. Thus, am not able to enter windows due to the login screen where nothing works and my only option is to restart.

Last time, The safe mode didn't solve the problem or disabling driver signature enforcement didn't either. I system restored to a previous point and voila, solved!!

I have an habit of dozing of in front of the pc and did so, it was on the whole night. In the morning again the same problem. So, I play around with bios, safe mode, signature enforcing as usual no improvement. Finally went for another system restore. This time the problem didn't go of. Though one thing I found strange this time was that, during selecting restore point the following changes were shown to be affected

microsoft some update - > Irrelavent
microsoft some word update - > Irrelavent
Norton Anti-virus update to be rolled back to some previous version

So, I proceed with the restore, reboot and the problem persists. Curious I go for another restore. Technically it shouldn't show any differences in rollbacks but this time.

Norton version roll back difference from 12.something to 11.something.

After another restore, rebooting and checking restoring option.. says same

12.something to 11.something.

The restores are reporting restored successfully.

I am suspecting the norton even without logging in, does a update to latest version on each bootup of OS. And this latest version is causing a clash in Input drivers. Or am I wrong ?

What to do about this scenario ? As last measure I can re-install OS with the keep my files option. But that might cause lot of issues for me, since I use lot of editing programming softwares and much more.

Prashanthrb

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I tried couldn't get hold of one. I had to resort to resetting the OS but keeping the files.
This is my other accidentally created account.

But that said, this problem still haunts me from time to time. Though It doesn't happen every week, I do face it once or twice in about a 3 month period. Usually am decent with finding the root causes, here it is total confusion. One pattern I observed so far is this occurs with a co-relation to windows update like OS builds or rare cases when I didn't have a working inverter for few months to save PC improper shutdown during blackouts.

Since the BIOS is not coming up, something is latching up in hardware under these circumstances. The way I do get it working without any instances of the crash for the next few months is by trying to hard reset the PC forcefully [As in power button to switch on and off few times, a particular timing trick makes the bios pop up by random]. Once BIOS is up I go in check the event logs on software and system updates and roll back 2days whatever the cost. The most co-relation is windows OS updates / Builds which I have disabled on the registry level due to annoyance of it. Still it seeps in and updates sometimes. Sneaky stuff

And a huge sorry for necroing this post