Keyboard & mouse not working at login screen

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hello.

Recently changed out a bunch of parts from my computer and ever since have been struggling with USB devices refusing to work after reaching login screen. Initially I managed to get into windows by using the PS/2 simulator option in BIOS and starting in safe mode, but after installing the USB 3.0 drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard even this stopped working. After this I cleared CMOS, didn't help. Tried all options in advanced boot menu, didn't help. Waited 20+ minutes for drivers to potentially load at login screen, didn't help. Legacy USB support is on by default. Have tried different mouse and keyboard, same issue. Mouse/keyboard stays lit if I keep them plugged in, but if I try changing USB ports it seems like they lose all power until I restart and they light up again during boot.

No idea what to do from here. Thanks for any help. Been looking at threads where there have been similar problems but to no avail.

I changed my GPU, CPU, motherboard and RAM during the upgrade.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 MSI Gaming X
CPU: i7-8700K
Mobo: ASRock z370 Killer SLI
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb DDR4 3000MHz

Still using same old harddrives and PSU

Solution

If the CM Storm Trooper case has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports and only connects to the motherboard USB 3.0 header, it should make the USB 2.0 ports work from the 3.0 header… or the USB concentrator manufacturer may have USB drivers available for...
1) If you replaced the motherboard, you'll need to update all the drivers for the motherboard so did you install all those included in the mobo CD, or just the USB 3 drivers?... If you didn't, that would be the next step.

2) If that doesn't help, a BIOS reset allowing enough time for it to reset may help and if it doesn't do a BIOS recovery. The 20+ minute period for drivers to load is an indication of BIOS corruption so the Recovery may solve it.

Follow these instructions to do a propper BIOS reset and if necessary do the BIOS Recovery.

Option A) Bios reset:
1. Remove AC power or turn off the PSU
2. Remove the battery
3. Move the BIOS jumper to pins 2 & 3
4. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
5. Wait 10 minutes
6. Revert 1 through 3 and try the computer

Option B) Bios recovery:
1. Remove AC power or turn off the PSU
2. Remove the battery
3. Remove the BIOS jumper (only difference from a Reset)
4. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
5. Wait 10 minutes
6. Revert 1 through 3 and try the computer

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
@Chicano The computer would restart periodically during installation of drivers from the CD and I would need to log in every time it did. After it restarted after installing USB 3.0 drivers I could no longer use mouse or keyboard after reaching log in screen

Also the drivers do not load after 20mins, I just read some places that it would sometimes have to do that. And in my case, they never load

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
@rgd1101 Would a USB to PS/2 adapter work? I assume Windows 7 will download the drivers properly once I get in and that Im not stuck with PS/2 mouse and keyboard?

Move the mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0 ports... they use default USB drivers but not USB 3.0... that needs USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 7 to work, and those included in the motherboard CD may not support Windows 7.. So move mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0 and search for compatible USB 3.0 drivers.

Shut down the PC > Move the mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0, turn the PC on > press the BIOS access key (usually Delete)... find the BIOS setting on keyboard error* reporting and enable it.. if USB 2.0 has issues the BIOS post should report them.

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
@Chicano it seems I currently have no functioning USB 2.0 ports on my PC right now, as there is none on the z370 by default and the 2 I had on the front of my case don't work at all after changing the motherboard. There are 4 USB ports on front of my CM Storm Trooper, 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0. They all merge in to one plug that only fits in the USB 3.1 Gen1 header on the motherboard. So it seems I can't plug the USB 2.0s seperately in to the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard. Darn it

The USB 3.0 ports should work with the right motherboard drivers... but seems that USB 3.0 ports are not compatible with USB 2.0 devices, so you may have to buy USB 3.0 mouse and keyboard..
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2026083/usb-device-usb-ports-computer-device-computer.html

OR buy a PCIe USB 2.0 card... there are not many of them and those I've found are in the mid $20's at eBay and Amazon... they are hard to find at newegg.com
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Profile-Speed-PEXUSB4DP/dp/B002RL8V7E
https://www.amazon.com/Internal-USB-Port-Cards/b/ref=dp_bc_5?ie=UTF8&node=229185
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pci+usb+card&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PCie+USB+card&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pcie+usb+2.0+card&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I'm going to try using a PS/2 adapter and log myself in that way and hopefully download the correct drivers. Will report back once I get it. Thanks so much for the help!

sundre

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Got the adapter, it does absolutely nothing.

I read this in an other thread:

"Since Win 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0, I had to load the drivers from the manufacturers website. You wouldn't expect the missing USB 3.0 drivers to cause problems with the USB 2.0 ports but the ASUS manual claimed that "based on the chipset spec, the 100 series requires USB 3.0 drivers to be preloaded in order to use USB mouse/keyboard during Win 7 installation."

Now I know I'm not installing my OS since I'm using using my old harddrives, but how would I go about preloading drivers when I have neither mouse or keyboard? And since my USB-to-PS/2 adapter didn't work am I to assume it's because of the lacking USB 3.0 drivers or is PS/2 not even gonna work if I get a real PS/2 keyboard/mouse?

jr9

Estimable
Some things to note:

- Windows 7 is not supported by your motherboard or its chipset. If you installed USB3.0 drivers from the CD (which is strange because Windows 10 which is the only OS the motherboard supports has these built in) then you installed USB drivers for the wrong OS. There no Windows 7 USB drivers for that motherboard on its page.

- USB 2.0 ports are not guaranteed to work with Windows 7 in the installation environment and I would never consider relying on them. PS/2 will always work if you have the ports and keyboard. I always have one on hand for this reason.

- Installing Windows 7 on new platforms means you will have to do workarounds to get USB to work and expect to not have any drivers available for Windows 7 except for basic ones like LAN. Don't expect the other things the motherboard comes with like its special software to work on Windows 7 although it might.

I would consider getting a real PS/2 keyboard to get into Windows and configure your drivers. An adapter isn't going to help.

If the CM Storm Trooper case has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports and only connects to the motherboard USB 3.0 header, it should make the USB 2.0 ports work from the 3.0 header… or the USB concentrator manufacturer may have USB drivers available for download that could make the USB 2.0 ports work in the motherboard 3.0 header.

The problem here is Windows 7 doesn’t natively support USB 3.0 since it was released before USB 3.0 was around, and Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are from the USB 3.0 installer era and don’t face the same problem as Windows 7… So what you apparently need is specific USB 3.0/3.1 divers for Windows 7, and your options are:

1) To install them from outside Windows 7. Since the issue comes up at the logon screen, you should have no trouble installing the Chipset and USB 3.0 drivers from the Windows 7 Recovery/Startup Repair environment… So, if your Windows 7 installation includes a Recovery Partition, it should load the Recovery/Startup Repair Environment from where you can search for the drivers folder in the motherboard CD/DVD disk… and if the Windows 7 installation doesn’t have a Recovery Partition, use a Windows 7 installer in USB or DVD to access the Recovery Environment, and once there, insert the motherboard CD/DVD disk. If you’re using a Windows 7 DVD, removing it to use the DVD drive should be possible. Browse to the motherboard disk and locate the USB 3.0 drivers to be installed.

2) OR if you prefer, do a System Restore from the Windows 7 Recovery Environment… that may remove the USB 3.0 drivers you installed allowing you to logon as before, so you can install the Chipset drivers and if necessary download USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 7.

3) It may even be possible to resolve the logon issue running a Windows 7 startup Repair... if it works, logon and next you can install the Chipset and USB 3.0 drivers. The motherboard CD/DVD disk should include instruction files that may specify if the included USB 3.0 drivers are compatible with Windows 7 which is obvious since the motherboard should be compatible with most Windows versions.. so if it turns they are, you may have to install the Chipset drivers before the installed USB 3.0 drivers can work with Windows 7...so make sure you don't do a System Restore before trying this option.

EDIT: I'd forgot to mention this: Some cheap USB PS/2 adapters don't work or they work and later don't... So IF you bought just any adapter, you may still be able to make the USB keyboard and mouse work in the PS/2 port with a better item.

Solution